• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hannah Kelley, the florida pastor's daughter, who was shot in the head by Moises Zambrana, church "security," in the church last Sunday, February 12, died yesterday (Saturday, February 18).
    Young woman who was shot in head at Lealman church dies - Tampa Bay Times

Moises Zambrana, Church "security"
    picture.php

Folks, if you are doing "Show and Tell" with a carry gun, STOP!
    It is not cool. It is both stupid and dangerous.

Leave it in the holster, and don't touch it, unless you are attacked by someone bent on inflicting serious bodily injury.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm sure he is feeling a large amount of guilt right now, and he should. However, I feel bad for all parties involved. He looks like a police officer, he should have known better.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Three days after Hannah Kelley was shot, an eerily similar shooting happened in Redmond (Seattle) Washington, where another 20-year old lady was shot in the head and killed by a person on the other side of a wall demonstrating an empty gun.

Seattle woman shot and killed at Redmond home - KCPQ

That's two in the same week.

Much closer to home, on Saturday, October 8, last year, during the busiest visiting hours at Parkview Hospital, a bail bondsman was unloading his handgun at police request next to an elevator on the seventh floor. He cranked one into the floor; it ricocheted off the floor and into the door jamb of an occupied patient's room right at head height.

It happened directly across the hall from my wife's office and right next to the charge nurse's office. Thank God no one was injured, and God only knows how many times negligent discharges happen with people messing with guns that should not be handled at all.

Please, please, please--if you have a carry gun, leave it in the holster. Do not show it off.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I think we should have a quick public service lesson how to prevent ND while loading and unloading a firearm, say an 1911 such as mine. I'm always weary when I do have to load and unload while at the house/range/etc...

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I think we should have a quick public service lesson how to prevent ND while loading and unloading a firearm, say an 1911 such as mine. I'm always weary when I do have to load and unload while at the house/range/etc...

This is NOT an issue with correct technique of clearing a semi-auto handguns; although that did happen in both cases.

The issue is NOT taking the gun out in the first place!

Stop doing "Show and Tell." !

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    This is NOT an issue with correct technique of clearing a semi-auto handguns; although that did happen in both cases.

I know, thought we should be reminded of the correct techniques to clearing an semi-auto pistol. While I've always cleared without a ND, I would like to be sure the way I do it is the "correct technique".

indygoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Clermont, IN

I don't think there is anything we can necessarily do about people wanting to share and talk about their firearms. There are places in which that behavior is appropriate (range, personal residents, etc...) My question would be what is causing the UD? Is it a lack of proper training? Is it disrespect for the firearm? Issues like that are what need to be addressed, IMO. In this specific instance, you are correct. There is no reason that gun should have ever had the opportunity to go off.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think there is anything we can necessarily do about people wanting to share and talk about their firearms. .

Yes there is. We can foster a culture where playing 1st-grade "show and tell" with a loaded gun is not only frowned-upon but actively discouraged. How many ND's have there been at the 1500 lately? There's always some goober that can't leave his carry gun in the freaking holster. That person should be mercilessly ridiculed for putting everyone's lives at risk and for making gun owners look like unsafe hilljacks.

indygoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Clermont, IN
    Yes there is. We can foster a culture where playing 1st-grade "show and tell" with a loaded gun is not only frowned-upon but actively discouraged. How many ND's have there been at the 1500 lately? There's always some goober that can't leave his carry gun in the freaking holster. That person should be mercilessly ridiculed for putting everyone's lives at risk and for making gun owners look like unsafe hilljacks.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I total agree with the mantra of never pulling out a gun unless you intend to fire it (with of course a few exceptions - cleaning for instance). While fostering a culture where pulling a gun out to talk about it is inappropriate, would definitely cut back on ND's, I still feel as though there a different core issue relating back to training and proper handling of a firearm. Please, however, know that I am not advocating that it's always appropriate to pull your firearm just to talk about. I guess what I am trying to say is there is a more fundamental reason these guns are going off aside from them being shown at inopportune times.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

School is in session:

1. The Four Rules always apply.

2. Guns are frickin' dangerous.

3. Stop playing show and tell.

4. Guns only got one job and that is to go bang.

5. Guns can go bang upon loading and unloading regardless of where your boogerhook is.

6. Guns are frickin' dangerous.

7. The Four Rules always apply.

Thus endth the lesson.

And now, class, since you've been good, we'll watch a movie featuring Professor Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uytPO0UaDM

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This is NOT an issue with correct technique of clearing a semi-auto handguns; although that did happen in both cases...

Yes it is, since it DID happen in both (and numerous other) cases.

The where/why is one issue - the how is another.

When this sort of thing happens at a range or a private residence for unloading/disassembly purposes, the event is no less tragic and only slightly less preventable

ANY hole you were not willing to make is due to neglecting the universal safety rules. Reasons, places, etc. are only contributing factors.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    People seem to focus on the improper clearing technique and ignore the basic screwup of taking the gun out in the first place; hence my emphasis on don't show and tell.

Too many folks think it is cool to show off their carry guns by taking them out, waving them around and jacking with the magazines and slides, and they think it is fine since they are Jedi Master gun handlers. Proper clearing techniques are important, but those techniques are not a factor for a gun that doesn't leave the holster and shouldn't leave the holster.

Leave the carry gun in its holster unless you are attacked by someone bent on inflicting serious bodily injury!

indyjake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is a really sad situation all around. Someone on ARFCOM pointed out that the pistol in that picture appears to be a SR9 which has a magazine disconnect which would have prevented the gun from firing without a magazine in it (unless, of course, it had been modified to bypass the disconnect). That's all speculation and who knows if that's what he was carrying or even how old that photo is..anyhow it's obviously a sad and avoidable incident.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Someone on ARFCOM pointed out that the pistol in that picture appears to be a SR9 which has a magazine disconnect which would have prevented the gun from firing without a magazine in it (unless, of course, it had been modified to bypass the disconnect).

You know . . . those things can be fired with the magazine disconnect in them.

They used to demonstrate this at Gunsite and I think the Sheriff of Boone County, Indiana, Ken Campbell, still does.

The gun only has one job.

What kinda background, or "training" did the security officer have ?

I will bet you a steak dinner that he says "I've been around gunz all meye life" or "common sense".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom