• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 01 -[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEALER in firearms other than destructive devices.
    (includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National
    Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18 U.S.C 923(a)(3)(B) [/FONT]
    <B>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fee: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$ 200.00 for the first three (3) years.
    $ 90.00 on renewal.
    [/FONT]​
    </B>

And can just "anyone" pay and play?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Mainly you need to be "Engaged in the Business of selling Guns".
    It's not for collecting or selling at gun shows or enhancing your personal collection.
    You need a place of business, Mine is my Garage, and "Regular Business Hours".
    My hours are 5:00pm to 8:00pm.

First check your county/city zoning for home based business'.
    I had to submit a floor plan and sign a document stating i would not discharge firearms on the premesis.

ATF Licensing Center

ATF Online

ATF Firearms Page

ATF Online

order your forms here:

Distribution Center Order Form

Cost of the license is $200 for the first 3 years and $90 for the renewal.

I had more trouble with the city/county than with the Feds.
    You will also need a "License to Sell Handguns", you get it where you get your carry permit, $20 every 2 years.
    You also get a discount on your carry permit, My lifetime permit was $50.

You will need to get 2 fingerprint cards and 2 passport photo's.
    Plainfield PD did my fingerprint cards for free and walmart did the photo's for $10.

Submit your paper work and check to the feds and your county CLEO and wait.
    The ATF will contact you and do an interview, if they recommend you, your license will be there in 30-60 days.

Whole process takes 3-4mos.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    You have to sell so many guns per year in order to maintain the license.
    I don't know the exact amount but upon renewal I am asked that question. I sell well over the requirement.

The feds have been very helpful as well whenever I had a question. One officer was able to direct me several years ago when I had moved and had to relocate the license.

Gump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ellettsville
    Karl, does the ATF do regular inspections at your shop? And since it's in your garage, can they go in your house and nose around?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I'm not sure there is a "min or max"

Are there any requirements on how much business you have to do? Say I just wanted to do one or two a month.

This is my second time as an FFL, first being in Elkhart in 1997 to 2002 when I had to give it up when I moved to a city that would not allow firearms to be sold in a residential home. When I applied again the only issue was zoning and I had to state that I would not have a retail store in my home and all sales would be special order and picked up as soon as they came in.

The ATF agent was great and the only thing she stressed was don't get a license just to buy personal firearms. When in Elkhart I probably sold twenty guns a year if that and never had an inspection in five years. Transfers are part of the business and counts towards your activity. I have not read anywheres that you have to see X amount of guns per year or they pull your license; I do think if they do an inspection and all you have done since getting the license is fill your own guy safe you will probably not get renewed.

One thing not mentioned is you have to get an Indiana License to Collect Sales Tax which cost $30. You have to collect all sales tax on product you purchase for resale and every three months send the State of IN a check. You also have to declare your sales on your income tax, track your expenses and keep good records.

My investment in the FFL, State Pistol Permit and the Business License was about $255 and when you add in your bound book, rubber stamps, office supplies etc, you are hitting around $300 to get started. You need a safe or secured gun cabinet, alarm system, insurance and a place to keep all your stuff so you wife is not on your back.

Unless you go into it big time it is more a labor of love as you will not get rich if you factor in all your time against what money you bring it. You have to hang around home waiting for the UPS guy or the mailman as most guns need an adult signature upon delivery. You usually find out the gun is being delivered the afternoon you planned on doing something else.

As Karl mentioned start to finish getting up and running can be as long as four months. I have met some really great guys doing this and feel I am doing a service and being semi-retired it does not crowd my free time as it would for a person that works a full time day job.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Karl, does the ATF do regular inspections at your shop? And since it's in your garage, can they go in your house and nose around?

I've never been inspected, I'm in my 4th year of business.
    They can do an inspection once a year during my posted business hours.

As far as I know there is no minimum number of Sales/Transfers.
    A gunsmith might not ever do any transfers but is required to have a FFL.

You do have to indicate how many transfers/sales you had when you renew your license.
    I did very little business my first year and none for the first six months due to health issues.

I had to define the business area of my Premisis for the County.
    Drew them a floor plan.

I would not willingly let them inspect any other area of the house.

They are concerned with your paperwork not your house.
    If your inventory and paperwork are in your garage, they have no reason to look elswhere.

I'm not allowed by county zoning to stock anything for retail sale, so what comes in either goes out to a customer or into my private collection.
    I keep my Bound Books and all of my records in a file box so everything they need to look at is in there.

I do have a few guns I am holding for customers for various reasons but again they are in the safe in the garage.

The only time I ever had the ATF here was my Initial interview.
    I've had a few calls to check on various things, but that's it.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Amen! Michiana

I lost a whole day Friday waiting for UPS. The perfect day on the last day of vacation and instead of sitting in the woods, I was sitting in the living room.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    This is the part our customers don't see!

Amen! Michiana

I lost a whole day Friday waiting for UPS. The perfect day on the last day of vacation and instead of sitting in the woods, I was sitting in the living room.

This is why I want the background checks to go through the first time so I do not have someone coming back three days later to pick up their gun being delayed because they would not give me their SS #. I enjoy what I am doing as a FFL but I still don't want to waste my free time. If I averaged the time I spend into the money I make on a $20 transfer fee I am probably making less than $10 and hour, which is taxable income for me. This is not figuring in any wait around time.

I have been back in business just over three weeks and have only recouped 2/3 of my fee's, etc. I put out to get started. If I threw in the two new handguns I bought for myself I will never break even.:laugh:

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Buddy of mine with Ft. Liberty in Avon says you must have a store front now to get an ffl. Is this true or not?

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    NO

Buddy of mine with Ft. Liberty in Avon says you must have a store front now to get an ffl. Is this true or not?

No as far as the BATF goes but your zoning restrictions might prohibit this type of business in a private residence. How you approach your zoning department with your request makes a big difference in getting approved. If local zoning dept does not approve the BATF will not approve the license.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom