• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a Colt .357 Magnum King Cobra. It has just a little bit of rust on one side. It's not much, but it's enough to bother me.

Is there anyway that I can get rid of it?

6e496168.jpg

88453d38.jpg

You can't see it in the pictures, but it's there.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    If it's so minor that it can't be seen in the picture, how about soaking some CLP on the affected area for a while, then just rub it by hand with a clean cloth. It may just come off being extremely light.

If it's heavier.... I don't know if it's the best way, but you could try a dremel with a soft polishing wheel and light polishing compound. I've had decent success with the dremel on an abused stainless P220... not rust on that pistol, but some other kind of weather related corrosion/pitting.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Marc, please don't take a Dremel to that gun.

The first sentence by 762Mike (CLP and clean cloth) is probably the best way if the rust is very light.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Throw that Pony in the range bag if you end up coming down to the club tomorrow. I'll bring mine along too and we can let the kids play ;)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've used CLP and 0000 steel wool with great success before. After it is cleaned up you can use a tooth brush and SemiChrome or Flitz to clean the stainless and give it a nice luster. You can use a Dremel and a polishing wheel with SemiChrome or jewelers rouge to give it a high polish if you like that look. Stainless is the easiest metal to clean/polish. I've even bead blasted a couple of my stainless guns to give them an overall matte look.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I used CLP and just a rag. It wont come off very fast but if you rub it good every few days because I did not want to do it all day, then pretty soon I noticed the rust slowly going away. Not a very fast but I figured at least I would not mess up the finish. Just an ideal.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Please don't use polish or polishing compound on that gun. You aren't trying to alter the finish, but rather you are trying to remove rust. Using a polish or polishing compound will make the area around your problem vastly different than the finish on the rest of the gun. That Colt satin stainless is a very hard finish to replicate, and very easy to destroy with polishing compound. If you want a bright stainless King Cobra, sell the one you have and buy a bright stainless one. :twocents:

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    If the oxidation is only on the surface (no pits) I suggest a Hoppe's "Quick Clean Rust and Lead Remover" available at most gun stores. It's a great cleaning cloth for most surfaces and does a great job on surface rust WITHOUT abrasives. It also does a nice job of preventing further rust or tarnish!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like the way it looks now. It's almost pretty :D

I just want to get rid of that little rust. I have a small tube of CLP, I'll try that first when I get the chance.

Top Bottom