• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Ok, it's been a few years...OKAY! a lot of years since my very first handgun purchase, and my 20 yr old son says he can own a handgun but cant actually buy a handgun till he's 21 yrs old. I know, I scratch my head and think what the hell is the difference?? I'm not sure what the laws are. Any help out there??
    I told him he's crazy and bet next years tuition on it. Tell me I'm right!
    LOL He knows I'm paying tuition but it's still a bet.:rockwoot::D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Federal law says anyone under 21 can not buy a handgun from a licensed dealer

State law says anyone over 18 can buy one from a private party.

So where are you sending him to school?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Grab your checkbook............lol
    1) person has to be 21 to purchase a handgun,from a licensed dealer .......correct
    2) person can own a handgun before 21.......correct

Last edited:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I think not only should you have to pay for his tuition but have to buy him his first gun and pay for his LTCH.

My father bought me my first real defensive handgun as a gift for my 20th birthday. It is a gift I will never get rid of and always remember!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While you two sort out who ( we all know who ) won the wager and what it will cost, the son might go ahead and get his LTCH. He was eligible for that the day he turned 18. Once he buys ( from private individual) / recieves (as a gift ) his first, he will be glad he's already ahead of the ball game.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not sure that's legal.

In Indiana, it is perfectly legal for anyone 18 or over to purchase a handgun from a private individual if both are Indiana Residents and the purchaser is a "proper person" under the law. (Not a felon, etc.) It is also legal to be given to that person, again if they are 18 or over and a "proper person".

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hey, in case no one's told you, he can own a handgun at 18, just can't purchase from a FFL dealer (or buy handgun ammo) until he's 21.

The closest state statute is:

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b)...

A year tuition... Hope he's not going somewhere expensive! ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    And here's the Indiana Code to support what has already been correctly answered: in Indiana, it is legal to own and carry a handgun at the age of 18, but federal law prohibits licensed dealers from selling handguns or ammunition to individuals under 21.

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3.
    (Subsections (a) through (f) omitted.)
    (g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (1) has been convicted of a felony;
    (2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    (4) is under twenty-three (23) years of age if the person has been adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or
    (5) has been arrested for a Class A or Class B felony, or any other felony that was committed while armed with a deadly weapon or that involved the use of violence, if a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged.

United States Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, § 922. Unlawful acts
    (Subsection (a) omitted.)
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    (Subsection (b) truncated.)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...but federal law prohibits licensed dealers from selling handguns or ammunition to individuals under 21.

United States Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, § 922. Unlawful acts

Also, further down in the cited Federal Code is the part that applies to non-FFLicensees.

(x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Also, further down in the cited Federal Code is the part that applies to non-licensees.

(x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

To make sure we're all clear, here: that means that people like me who are not licensed dealers, licensed importers, etc cannot transfer a handgun or handgun ammo to somebody under 18. It's not referring to a license to carry.

ETA - you edited that to say non-FFLicensees in between me reading it and me clicking Quote! Kinda makes this whole post moot now. Thanks a lot :p

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ETA - you edited that to say non-FFLicensees in between me reading it and me clicking Quote! Kinda makes this whole post moot now. Thanks a lot :p You're freakin' awesome!

I'm slow, but still faster than you. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom