1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    SalemNews.com, Salem, MA
    May 19, 2010
    Man charged after gun found in his hotel room
    By Julie Manganis
    Staff writer

DANVERS — An Indiana man is facing gun charges after a hotel housekeeper found an unloaded handgun under his pillow and police found a second gun in a storage bin in the man's room.

Jonathan Chenevert, 31, of Evansville has an Indiana license for the two guns, a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson with a laser sight and a .38 Jennings by Bryco, both found in Room 274 of the Knights Inn on Route 1.

State law in Massachusetts requires that he have a firearms identification card to possess guns here. In addition, neither gun was locked or secured in a gun safe, another Massachusetts requirement. He is charged with violating both statutes. Chenevert pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, raised concern about the fact that when first questioned by Danvers police, Chenevert denied that there was a second gun in the room.

Prosecutor Michelle DeCourcey urged Salem District Court Judge Richard Mori to hold Chenevert on $5,000 cash bail, noting his lack of ties to the area.

Chenevert is part of a crew from Mid-West Maintenance Coating. They are in the area to perform work on a water tank in Middleton, according to a police report.

Defense lawyer Heidi Shore argued that her client, who has no record, is a married father who owns the guns legally in Indiana and didn't intend to break any laws.

Mori set the bail at $1,000, an amount Chenevert is expected to post.

He is due back in court on July 2.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think this is a place where one could make a 2nd amendment argument. If a law prohibits you from exercising your right to self-defense in the home, even if it's only a temporary "home away from home," I'd imagine that the precedents would fit quite nicely to this scenario.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Irony of the story being hosted at the "Salem News".

Getting someone for having a gun is a modern day Witch Hunt if I ever heard of one.

This crap is getting old.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Didn't that guy watch Mel Gibson in EDGE OF DARKNESS....? Mel played a cop ...He returned a handgun back to his dead daughters boyfriend, the boyfriend said.."Your giving back my gun...isn't that illegal?" Mel.."Everything is illegal in MA."

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have pondered about guns in hotels before. I never left mine in the hotel. Next trip I will check out the laws for sure. When traveling there is a fine line between protecting your family and obeying local laws. I have carried in several states before but never thought about the hotel stay and my firearm. Hopefully this works out.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    SalemNews.com, Salem, MA
    May 19, 2010
    Man charged after gun found in his hotel room
    By Julie Manganis
    Staff writer

DANVERS — An Indiana man is facing gun charges after a hotel housekeeper found an unloaded handgun under his pillow and police found a second gun in a storage bin in the man's room.

Jonathan Chenevert, 31, of Evansville has an Indiana license for the two guns, a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson with a laser sight and a .38 Jennings by Bryco, both found in Room 274 of the Knights Inn on Route 1.

State law in Massachusetts requires that he have a firearms identification card to possess guns here. In addition, neither gun was locked or secured in a gun safe, another Massachusetts requirement. He is charged with violating both statutes. Chenevert pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, raised concern about the fact that when first questioned by Danvers police, Chenevert denied that there was a second gun in the room.

Prosecutor Michelle DeCourcey urged Salem District Court Judge Richard Mori to hold Chenevert on $5,000 cash bail, noting his lack of ties to the area.

Chenevert is part of a crew from Mid-West Maintenance Coating. They are in the area to perform work on a water tank in Middleton, according to a police report.

Defense lawyer Heidi Shore argued that her client, who has no record, is a married father who owns the guns legally in Indiana and didn't intend to break any laws.

Mori set the bail at $1,000, an amount Chenevert is expected to post.

He is due back in court on July 2.

The guy screwed up. As Kojack used to say, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm certain that I have "carried" into States and hotels where I was not legal, however, I did not leave weapons unsecured, especially under a pillow! (Making the bed is part of the regular maid service in most hotels). I think poor planning and poor judgment has unfortunately caught-up with this fellow.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am sorry...if you are dumb enough not to know that hotel staff can enter your room when you are not present and are dumb enough to leave firearms unsecured in said room, and are out of state and don't research the laws first then you deserve to be punished.

I would never leave a firearm in a hotel room unattended. If I couldn't carry it with me it would be locked in my car. If I didn't have a car it would be locked up in a lock box in a locked hard suitcase. Anywhere but under a pillow when a maid will be in to make the bed...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The guy screwed up. As Kojack used to say, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime".
    You might want to rethink that one. Think guy with the bird.

I agree with Thumper, regardless of local laws, and Mass has plenty, the guy seems oblivious to them being stolen by the staff.

Top Bottom