Btown Rural
    Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I work in that plant in that part of the plant. This incident happened right above me-- I was on the 1st floor, incident happened on 2nd floor. It's an open floor plan, so sound carries.

Still, I didn't really recognize the sound as gunshots. I mean, it's work, right? They are always contractors working around you, you tune it out.

Alarm goes off, but it's not a fire alarm or storm alert, it's just the alarm that goes off when someone goes out the wrong door. Someone comes along and yells to evacuate, and I'm not going receptive to a non-ERT team member telling me to evac without a reason.

Finally the commotion built large enough I couldn't ignore it. We all evacuated. Spent on hour or so in the rain as every LEO in 50 miles showed up. Still had no idea WHY I was playing being a sheep like everyone else was, but they looked so urgent I figured I'd indulge my independent streak another time.

That facility is a nightmare to sweep and secure. Hundreds of thousdands of square feet. A million hiding places. Did NOT envy the SWAT members in what they had to do.

I'm a little numb. I'm pissed at myself for not being more aware at what was happening. I'm frustrated at our GFZ policy. I'm stunned that it unfolded so slowly. Seriously. It was 10 min at least between when shots fired and when we figured out the evac was legit.

My work computer and bag are still at my desk. Heck, my lunch is still in the fridge. Hope it's all still there Monday. I'll try to get a little work done from home, but email's about all I can do via VPN.

H

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    UNCONFIRMED / UNOFFICIAL REPORTS - Murder / Suicide. No "official" names, but a few buddies believe they recognize the person being said is the shooter as an engineer. Employee reviews have started for last half of 2015, so keep that in mind...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    UNCONFIRMED / UNOFFICIAL REPORTS - Murder / Suicide. No "official" names, but a few buddies believe they recognize the person being said is the shooter as an engineer. Employee reviews have started for last half of 2015, so keep that in mind...

Most of the people on that floor are salaried professionals-- 70K and up type of pro engineers. Mostly new product development and design.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am ok, an have talked to a few other INGO members that work at that site and also know they are ok. Tough times for sure. Keep us all in your thoughts and prayers, as well as the families of the victim(s). It is going to take a while to heal, that's for sure. As things become official we'll learn who was involved, and there will be more questions than answers, and all sorts of wild speculation as to why it happened.

I think I speak for a lot of us that work there that we'd appreciate your respect for the victim(s) as well as respect the privacy of those of us that were there today. With time we'll likely open up about what we heard and saw and even what we've learned as a result.

I did want to give kudos to our ERT's and the first responders. Very quick response, and very professional handling of the situation. I talked to several SPD guys before leaving and let them know I appreciated them heading into danger within minutes of the incident. No matter how many times you see it in the movies or on TV, you are never quite ready to see a SWAT team in full kit rushing in to clear your work space.

A big thank you to those that also called or texted to check on our well-being. You don't know how much that means in a situation like this.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I am ok, an have talked to a few other INGO members that work at that site and also know they are ok. Tough times for sure. Keep us all in your thoughts and prayers, as well as the families of the victim(s). It is going to take a while to heal, that's for sure. As things become official we'll learn who was involved, and there will be more questions than answers, and all sorts of wild speculation as to why it happened.

I think I speak for a lot of us that work there that we'd appreciate your respect for the victim(s) as well as respect the privacy of those of us that were there today. With time we'll likely open up about what we heard and saw and even what we've learned as a result.

I did want to give kudos to our ERT's and the first responders. Very quick response, and very professional handling of the situation. I talked to several SPD guys before leaving and let them know I appreciated them heading into danger within minutes of the incident. No matter how many times you see it in the movies or on TV, you are never quite ready to see a SWAT team in full kit rushing in to clear your work space.

A big thank you to those that also called or texted to check on our well-being. You don't know how much that means in a situation like this.

I heard from others at the facility that have expressed the same requests. They also stated similar thoughts on the response and responders to the situation. I'm quite aware of one of the individuals involved. As for the rest, I'm honoring your request. I wasn't there and I'm not aware of the whole picture. Sadly, not sure we'll ever have the full picture.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Thoughts and prayers to the victim's family and to those affected by this. I have several friends that work there who are all OK. As a contractor, I have worked at SEP quite a bit and have gotten to know several folks that work in facilities.

My brother was there today as a member of Columbus SWAT.

You just never know...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thoughts and prayers to the victim's family and to those affected by this. I have several friends that work there who are all OK. As a contractor, I have worked at SEP quite a bit and have gotten to know several folks that work in facilities.

My brother was there today as a member of Columbus SWAT.

You just never know...

Tell your brother thanks for helping out. Fortunately the situation was over almost as fast as it started, but these days you just never know what else the guy had planned. Glad there were guys willing to go in and confirm the situation was secure.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I was on the 2nd floor when it happened. Heard a burst of shots, a short pause, then what I thought was 2 more....could be wrong on that. Not sure how a suicide could result in 2 shots, but obviously everyone's recollection is absolute **** in situations like this.

To me, there was no question it was gun shots, but a few people were thinking maybe it was construction noise or something else. We quickly made it outside. I was amazed at how many people that work on the same floor or downstairs didn't hear a thing. Apparently the new offices are incredibly well insulated.

Later on when I was allowed to grab my things from the desk I was working at, I realized the room where it happened was only 6-8 ft from where I was sitting at the time. I estimated I was 30-45 ft away from it when it happened. ...turns out I was MUCH closer. If no one was sitting to my right, I think I was likely the closest one to the room where it happened. It's absolutely amazing how much the shots were muffled. Still loud, obviously, but a fraction of what I would have thought.

I was surprised at how calm I stayed. Everyone was extremely calm outside, but I think that was mainly due to very few people actually knowling what had happened. Huge adrenaline dump on my part, that I still am feeling the effects of...haven't had the juices flowing like that in a while. I'll admit I was actually more shaken when I realized after I got my stuff later how close to it I really was vs. when it actually happened. I'm all good though, just happy to be safe and sound at home with the fiancé.

Amazing that no one was hurt by any stay rounds/pass-thrus (silver-linings and all that). Thin walls and lots of people on the 2nd floor. The gun guy in me is very curious where the rounds ended up.

Incredibly sad for the families, but very thankful more people weren't hurt. Honestly, it being a GFZ, it could have been far, far worse.

Keep your loved ones a bit closer tonight, and keep the families in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I was on the 2nd floor when it happened. Heard a burst of shots, a short pause, then what I thought was 2 more....could be wrong on that. Not sure how a suicide could result in 2 shots, but obviously everyone's recollection is absolute **** in situations like this.

To me, there was no question it was gun shots, but a few people were thinking maybe it was construction noise or something else. We quickly made it outside. I was amazed at how many people that work on the same floor or downstairs didn't hear a thing. Apparently the new offices are incredibly well insulated.

Later on when I was allowed to grab my things from the desk I was working at, I realized the room where it happened was only 6-8 ft from where I was sitting at the time. I estimated I was 30-45 ft away from it when it happened. ...turns out I was MUCH closer. If no one was sitting to my right, I think I was likely the closest one to the room where it happened. It's absolutely amazing how much the shots were muffled. Still loud, obviously, but a fraction of what I would have thought.

I was surprised at how calm I stayed. Everyone was extremely calm outside, but I think that was mainly due to very few people actually knowling what had happened. Huge adrenaline dump on my part, that I still am feeling the effects of...haven't had the juices flowing like that in a while. I'll admit I was actually more shaken when I realized after I got my stuff later how close to it I really was vs. when it actually happened. I'm all good though, just happy to be safe and sound at home with the fiancé.

Amazing that no one was hurt by any stay rounds/pass-thrus (silver-linings and all that). Thin walls and lots of people on the 2nd floor. The gun guy in me is very curious where the rounds ended up.

Incredibly sad for the families, but very thankful more people weren't hurt. Honestly, it being a GFZ, it could have been far, far worse.

Keep your loved ones a bit closer tonight, and keep the families in your thoughts and prayers.

wow! we're glad you're alright.

my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and victims involved.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County

I was sitting on the backside of the wall from where it happened. Just sounded like construction work to me or a desk collapsing. Another guy in the room said it sounded like gunfire. I only heard 2 loud, one muffled noise...but there may have been 1 or 2 before the noise registered with me. I think the noise must have echo'd towards the glass side of that room rather than back towards the conf room where I was.

I was surprised for those that hadn't heard anything as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom