• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Putting this in general firearms discussion because the lower could be used for a pistol or a rifle. Mods feel free to move as you see fit.

I used an Anderson lower in my AR build and I ran into an issue that folks should know about because it's something that a lot of people, myself included, will overlook. It isn't a huge problem but it's something you'll want to be aware of.

I used a Magpul MOE grip on my build and noticed that there was some wobble. I also had a problem with my CR123 grip core not locking into the grip. I tightened the grip screw down as hard as I could to no avail. I do have to note that the grip screw was your standard DPMS screw because the MOE was a take-off from another rifle.

After a few times assembling and disassembling, and a couple hours of frustration, I called it a night and decided to call Magpul tech support in the morning. I got up the next morning, called them, and told Daniel about my problem. I told him about not having the Magpul screw and he never acted like that was an issue (which it apparently is the reason my core won't lock in, the head is too thick) but he did ask what type of lower I was using. I told him it was an Anderson and I could hear, through the phone, his light bulb click on. He explained to me that my grip screw wasn't going in deep enough to hold the grip tight because Anderson wasn't tapping their grip screw holes all the way through. He said that tapping the hole the rest of the way through should fix the problem.

I got off the phone with Daniel at Magpul tech support and took a gander into the lower. Lo and behold, the hole was only tapped about 1/2-2/3 of the way through. I bought a 1/4-28 tap and finished the hole. Now that grip is held on there as tight as can be.

I want to stress that I have found no other problems with this lower. Just be sure if you buy one of these that you check that. The tap isn't very expensive or you can buy a shorter screw.

This concludes my public service announcement for the day.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I build a a Anderson lower with a psa magpul kit and had no issues. I bought the lower last year. I wonder if it's a batch issue or something.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have made 5 ARs from their lowers and had to tap all 5 of them. No big deal its only a few turns. They were spread out over the last few months so I cant imagine its a batch thing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are others that don't D&T all the way.
    BTW, it's pretty easy to just shorten a screw (or buy another).

I D&T'd my Andersen though, since I always do the JP Spring and set screw deal for a little better trigger.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I also experienced this with all my anderson 80% lowers but i just finished one that was tapped all the way through so maybe its just hit and miss.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm not saying it had to be a batch. I work in a large machine tool plant and engineers are always trying to find ways to save time and money. On machining it's usually trying stuff like machine as little as needed not taping holes all the way through if possible. It does not seem like that much on one lower, but on thousands it makes a difference. If it's consistent depths more than likely someone either changed the program or switched out the length of tap in the machine and didn't change the program. It's not a big deal, but it should slip through QC in massive amounts.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Not a batch thing IMO. I had 3 of them in VERY close s/n sequence last year. 2 of them had this issue to different degree, one of which the actual threads of the hole were **** poor and seemed crooked. I've used lots of different lowers and lpks over the years. I've had some sort of issues with most of them.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Like I said, they're perfectly fine lowers. I don't have access to a grinder and that many washers would definitely have not allowed me to use my grip core. I just went ahead and bought the tap because I'll use an Anderson if/when I do another build.

Top Bottom