• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Most of us have heard that accidental firearms deaths have been declining over the years even as the number of guns in the public's hands have increased. It is nice to see the steady progress that has occurred over time in graphical form:

Zkdyc2q.jpg

The original author, Dean Weingarten, had to pull together data from multiple sources to come up with this chart. Some info dates back to 1904, some started later. Combined, they show the picture above.

There are a number of factors that have contributed to this improved safety record and it is pretty much impossible to say exactly how much each has contributed, but I credit the following as the major contributors:
    • Improving firearms hardware and accessories such as drop-safe triggers, improved holster designs, etc.
    • Better firearms handling techniques such as Col. Cooper's four rules, published in 1991 in "The Modern Technique of the Pistol".
    • The rise of public firearms training, from the well known Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, etc. to local trainers such as the fine trainers that frequent INGO.
    • Hunter safety techniques and training, such as the orange wear, hunter safety courses, etc.
    • Improved medical technology.

Last edited:

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    This can't be right. I mean after all, they are "killing machines" and the anti gunners said I'm more likely to be killed with my own gun than someone elses...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Unpossible. I keep being told that firearms are designed for one purpose, and one purpose alone: to kill. If that's true, then they're clearly not designed very well.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Unpossible. I keep being told that firearms are designed for one purpose, and one purpose alone: to kill. If that's true, then they're clearly not designed very well.

We should all receive some monetary compensation for buying these darn things believing they were killing machines!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow - that's almost hard to believe. I think a comparison against gun owners may be less striking as the "gun density", that is to say the guns per owner, has really gone up over that time period.

Also, there's no way to spin this - this increase in safety is solely from gun owners being more responsible and smarter. Well, you may be able to also credit this to safer gun designs...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think you are spot on in your assessment of the attributable factors for the increased safety. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it is interesting how those trends are almost the perfect inverse of the other. It would be impressive enough for the safety number to hold steady in the face of increased ownership.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But what is the ACTUAL carry/usage rates that go along with the ownership increase?

I can see it not adjusting much for those that are a first time buyer for home protection. They buy, then put in in a drawer and forget it. If they arent training, carrying, etc its quite conceivable that we wont see much of an increase in incidents.

It would be like comparing a sudden increase in car purchases. Not cars on the road, but simply the purchase of cars. If all the new car owners simply gassed it up and parked it in the drive, of course there wont be more accidents.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But what is the ACTUAL carry/usage rates that go along with the ownership increase? The two lines arent quite as directly connected as you might think.

I can see it not adjusting much for those that are a first time buyer for home protection. They buy, then put in in a drawer and forget it. If they arent training, carrying, etc its quite conceivable that we wont see much of an increase in incidents.

It would be like comparing a sudden increase in car purchases. Not cars on the road, but simply the purchase of cars. If all the new car owners simply gassed it up and parked it in the drive, of course there wont be more accidents.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I haven't yet found a pretty graph, but:
    Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report - Washington Times
    Between 1999 and 2007 the number of permits increased by about 240,000 per year. But in the next four years, during Mr. Obama’s first term in the White House, the number of new permits issued jumped to 850,000 per year. From 2011 to 2013, the number increased by 1.5 million, rising to 1.7 million last year, according to the report.

This doesn't include those states that have no need for a permit (constitutional carry or license-free open carry).

So, sales up, carry permits/licenses up, and accidents down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But how many people out there think you need a permit to buy/possess, even at home? That is why I have doubts about the more permits=more ACTUAL carry argument.

But dont get me wrong, I'm glad its down and that we, as an ever expanding group, are being safer every year.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    But what is the ACTUAL carry/usage rates that go along with the ownership increase? The two lines arent quite as directly connected as you might think.

From what I've seen FWIW new gun buyers are overcoming concerns based on the "your gun will shoot you" propaganda. They take getting into gun ownership seriously and have started with some training even before buying, which is a good move. I've met the "bought my talisman and threw it the drawer" type too, they just seem to be a small minority.
    I think one reason that new gun owners might not be taking more classes, is that they don't know where to look or what's available.

Top Bottom