• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    We are at a turning point in our world.... Once this technology catches up, we will see cheaper commodities, and a booming economy again. Can I be first inline for the sub 10,000 dollar 80HP printed tractor?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    We are at a turning point in our world.... Once this technology catches up, we will see cheaper commodities, and a booming economy again. Can I be first inline for the sub 10,000 dollar 80HP printed tractor?

We are going to eventually get to the point where if you can drawl it in cad, it can be manufactured in a timely fashion. This is the next evolution of cnc...

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I'm probably just paranoid...

But I see the antis ratcheting up the people-control legislation and policies big time in the near future. The 3D pringing may well be one of the reasons used.

If anyone can buy a cheap 3D printer and make servicable gun, then they will seek to further restrict/monitor the flow of information and slap beurocratic hoops and liscensing on the use / aquisition of the means of production (the printers).

They tried to knee-jerk those same issues when the single shot plastic derringers became public information - imagine what schemes and tricks they will stoop to when you can readily print durrable functional repeating arms.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Interesting, thanks for pointing out the article. Some time when I'm driving through Austin I'll have to remember to drop into their facility there and see if they have any samples to give away. :)

A nit. It would be nice if Reason could find a writer who knows at least a little about guns themselves. I cede that the battle over "clips" versus "magazines is lost, but jeepers, can we hold the line at the difference between "barrel" and "slide"? Sigh.

Pretty cool gun tho, the ability to do "engraving" like that is pretty interesting (also, in addition to the gun itself).

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Some time when I'm driving through Austin I'll have to remember to drop into their facility there and see if they have any samples to give away. :)

I am thinking INGO tour! Can we do it in January or February?:D

It would be nice if Reason could find a writer who knows at least a little about guns themselves.

Have to say that it is tough finding any journalist who knows anything about firearms.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm probably just paranoid...

But I see the antis ratcheting up the people-control legislation and policies big time in the near future. The 3D pringing may well be one of the reasons used.

If anyone can buy a cheap 3D printer and make servicable gun, then they will seek to further restrict/monitor the flow of information and slap beurocratic hoops and liscensing on the use / aquisition of the means of production (the printers).

They tried to knee-jerk those same issues when the single shot plastic derringers became public information - imagine what schemes and tricks they will stoop to when you can readily print durrable functional repeating arms.

I think you are looking to much on the surface... the reason this is a game changer is not because we will be able to manufacture guns legally... that's an easy thing to make illegal.... The catch, is once this technology is available and in the hands of millions, NO gov't will be able to get away w/ atrocities. Lets take Britain for example... very few arms available in which to use should the gov't reach its time.... this technology on the kitchen tables across that island could be utilized unchecked by the gov't w/ nothing more than legally available materials and some PDF files.... that would put the populace on more even terms in which to effect change by the use of arms. Doesn't matter if its legal to print a gun or not, this is a game changer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The main problem with metal 3D printing, is you have to have a kiln. Now, if there was a metal printer that worked like an FDM printer, different story. I'm speaking purely for home use, not industrial.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I am thinking INGO tour! Can we do it in January or February?:D

Hmmm. That would be kinda fun. Besides the factory, the legislature will be in session also, you could tour the Capitol Building parking lot where a couple years ago some "journalist" got freaked because one of the legislators had a [STRIKE]sniper[/STRIKE] hunting rifle in his car. Then run through the Fast Lane at the Capitol entrance itself (i.e. the CHL lane that skips the metal detectors). We could also get ice cream at the same place Governor Rick got his scoop after his mug shot. Maybe drop by the DA's office and down a few shots with her. If you really wanted the full Texan experience, then we could road-trip it to Houston and visit the scene of the great shoot-out by the Well Known Patron Who Cannot Be Found. Good times, good times!

Late March or April is prettier in Texas, but having grown up in the Hoosier state I can see why Jan or Feb springs to mind. :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    A nit. It would be nice if Reason could find a writer who knows at least a little about guns themselves. I cede that the battle over "clips" versus "magazines is lost, but jeepers, can we hold the line at the difference between "barrel" and "slide"? Sigh.

Reason is not the name of the company, the company is Solid Concepts. Reason is that particular model of firearm.

In addition, the article wasn't written by them. It was written by a staff writer at 3DPrint.com. This probably explains the lack of firearms knowledge.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Reason is not the name of the company, the company is Solid Concepts. Reason is that particular model of firearm.

In addition, the article wasn't written by them. It was written by a staff writer at 3DPrint.com. This probably explains the lack of firearms knowledge.

Actually, Reason is the name of the website and magazine that published the article, and thus has good reason to edit articles published under its name, particularly if the reason for the article is to announce the creation of a firearm named Reason that is obviously named after the website and magazine Reason, (reason-being they wanted a reasonably friendly article about their new Reason handgun), regardless of whether the original author had any reason to know anything about firearms, or the website and magazine Reason. That is the reason for my nitpicking, and I think it is a reasonable complaint.

Reasonably yours,

Alamo

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Odd thought - If the .gov is no longer able to control the production of firearms themselves, then wouldn't they just control the production of powder, primers and loaded ammo? Even if you reload, you can't get around the fact that your components can only be produced in a factory. And those limited sources will be far easier to control than tens of millions of desktop 3D printers. Without ammo, you firearm just becomes an expensive paperweight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Even if you reload, you can't get around the fact that your components can only be produced in a factory.

I don't understand. Do you think that bullets, gunpowder and primers can only be made in a factory?

Are you not aware of how ammunition is handmade in say Africa, Pakistan, etc.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I don't understand. Do you think that bullets, gunpowder and primers can only be made in a factory?

Are you not aware of how ammunition is handmade in say Africa, Pakistan, etc.

I will admit, I do not. I do not reload, but I have perused the reloading section of INGO quite often. Isn't that as good as staying at a Holiday Inn?:):

I know that lead bullets can be made at home fairly easily for lower velocity rounds. But for the higher velocity rounds that need the copper jacket, can those be done at home? I don't know.

I know that you can make black powder at home. But can you make the precise powders that many of the modern rifles and some handgun calibers need? I don't know.

How about primers. I can't say that I have seen anything on making those at home. Is that possible?

And finally brass (or steel or aluminum...pick your material) cases. Do you know of someone that can take a solid chunk of metal and make usable cases from that at home?

Am I to assume that all the components needed for a modern round of ammunition could be and are completely manufactured from scratch at home, like in Africa and Pakistan? I ask because I honestly do not know.

Sure, maybe we could still feed our muzzle loaders with no manufacturing support at all. But in my limited understanding, I would seem that somewhere in the raw materials to finish product process there needs to be some manufacturing and heavy equipment involved. That choke point is where we could be restricted.

And if ammunition could only be manufactured at home, by hand, for your own use; how many people do you think would still be gun owners? I would think that many of our fair weather gun owners would give up their arms if they had to produce all their ammunition themselves. I am thinking the time / cost / inconvenience factor would be to much to bear for many.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But for the higher velocity rounds that need the copper jacket, can those be done at home? I don't know.

Sure thing. Once Moore's Law kicks in one will be able to print your own jacketed projectiles and gun powder.

How about primers. I can't say that I have seen anything on making those at home. Is that possible?

Sure, you can make them, with the patience of Job, but the printers to come will be able to spit them out for us.

What if you can't buy primers for handloading, DIY ammo option - YouTube

Do you know of someone that can take a solid chunk of metal and make usable cases from that at home?

Why use a solid chunk of metal? All kinds of objects can be re-purposed into casings.

Why not use lipstick tubes to make cartridge cases like the Irgun/Haganah did in Israel?:D

Skip to 8:00: Tales of the Gun - Guns of Israel, FULL EPISODE - YouTube

Top Bottom