• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I decided to build a back stop so I can shoot quietly and not worry about where the bullets go. I built a 4x4 back stop using 10 gauge steel, angle iron, and 3/4 inch rubber horse mats. It's nice and quiet, and I don't have to worry about ricochets.
    20140710_145253.jpg

20140710_145320.jpg

It's 40 yards from my porch, but I can get more if I move into the front yard.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What calibers do you plan on using? Tell us how it works out. I've got a few of those mats laying around.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Forgive my ignorance? Is that hinged at the top or something? like it's a trap that drops/deflects round down?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What calibers do you plan on using? Tell us how it works out. I've got a few of those mats laying around.

Just 22. That's all I set it up for. Some time, I'll put thicker steel in the back.

Forgive my ignorance? Is that hinged at the top or something? like it's a trap that drops/deflects round down?

The mats drop in from the top and can be pulled out to replace easily. Rounds drop out of the bottom...

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'm not questioning your skill, but it only takes one stray bullet to create a lifetime of regret. If it was me, I wouldn't be comfortable that no bullet would ever miss a 4x4 target at 40 plus yards.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not questioning your skill, but it only takes one stray bullet to create a lifetime of regret. If it was me, I wouldn't be comfortable that no bullet would ever miss a 4x4 target at 40 plus yards.

Fortunately, there's 1,000 yards of dense woods behind the stop.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Fortunately, there's 1,000 yards of dense woods behind the stop.

I know you say you are just shooting 22's into this target, but dense woods (especially if they do not belong to you) is not a good backstop. You are liable for any damage to the trees beyond your property. Our neighbor is finding out just how expensive that can be. I can't give more detail on our situation, but this will be addressed in court as a criminal matter.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Listen people, if I can't hit a 4x4 target at 40 yards every time, then I have no business shooting. True?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You won't ever be able to build a backstop complete enough that it will catch every mistake or act of ignorance or idiocy. The goal is to simply minimize the possibility as much as possible. For some that means a 20ft wall of dirt in every direction. Or a simple pile of dirt 6ft high. Or in this case, a 4'x4' steel barrier with dense woods behind it.

Apparently Rookie knows his backstop and what's beyond it. While we've seen some home backstops presented here on INGO that were obviously too risky, I don't think this is one of them. It sounds like he's made an acceptable effort to ensure the final resting place of every round.

Now if he was planning on shooting a full-auto AK at it . . . . . . .

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That horse stall mat is great stuff and very versatile. I've been using it as a bed mat in the back of my Tundra for 3 years and it is virtually unmarked after several trips out west loaded with p doggin' gear. I'll be interested to see how well it holds up stopping .22lr bullets.

Top Bottom