• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paulh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Evansville
    I've noticed that many private shooting ranges require you to be a member of the NRA before they let you join. Is it because they receive funding or what? Would like to join a shooting range but I don't particularly like the idea of being forced to join any organization

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some are affiliates of organizations like the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program), which requires NRA membership.

They may or may not receive funds to sanction NRA events. N0-0ne is "forcing" you to join any organization.
    It's your option. Join and shoot there, or don't join and find someplace else to shoot.

It's that simple.

This is just my opinion, but I firmly believe EVERY gun owner should be an NRA member.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Not at the range where I have membership. However, our range has benefited greatly from NRA grants. Either way, I'm in the NRA for far bigger reasons than their support for my local range.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A lot of folks just want to make sure everyone is helping to pull the wagon rather than just riding in it for free.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Never been "carded" at a range. I see your point though, why join a group that makes it possible for you to have a gun.

What if you dont like the NRA and your a member of the GOA? The constitution makes it possible for us to have a gun, BTW. Though the NRA would like you to think that it was their doing.

Just because someone doesn't support the NRA, doesn't mean they don't support the 2A

They are as bloated and corrupt as the government has become, they just appear to be on our side, for now.

Dont get me wrong, I still send in my minimum, which I just remembered I need to do, but by no means, do I feel anything more than wishful, that it will go somewhere good, and not to Central American "assets", or any of the people who made a pretty good supplement to their normal income by being involved with the NRA last year, and every year before.

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    What if you dont like the NRA and your a member of the GOA? The constitution makes it possible for us to have a gun, BTW. Though the NRA would like you to think that it was their doing.

Just because someone doesn't support the NRA, doesn't mean they don't support the 2A

They are as bloated and corrupt as the government has become, they just appear to be on our side, for now.

Dont get me wrong, I still send in my minimum, which I just remembered I need to do, but by no means, do I feel anything more than wishful, that it will go somewhere good, and not to Central American "assets", or any of the people who made a pretty good supplement to their normal income by being involved with the NRA last year, and every year before.

You are totally free to waste your money any way you want.:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My club requires NRA membership to join. The club also hosts matches that are NRA affiliated. NRA competition keeps records and issues classification cards to competitors. The NRA also keeps track of national shooting records (of excellence). At Registered matches the NRA supplies some awards. The NRA isn't perfect, but they are the elephant in the room that the antis just can't ignore. My advice is don't join a club that requires NRA membership, if you don't want to. I know our club won't miss you. We have no problem getting new members.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You are totally free to waste your money any way you want.
    smile.png
    This old game again?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

You retain the right to loath the NRA if you so choose. It's still a "free" country, for now.
    These ranges that have the prerequisite of NRA membership are still private entities. They also retain THEIR right to require NRA membership if they so choose.
    They could require cross-dressing and purple hair, but I doubt they would garner many applicants.

The NRA does many, MANY good things for our rights.
    If you see that differently, so be it.
    Since I'm a Benefactor/Life member of the NRA I am somewhat biased, but I have no qualms about other peoples opinions.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    HEY EVERYONE, come on in, its a hot-button topic, by a low post-count member, and the regulars have showed up already.

I smell leftover bacon.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    HEY EVERYONE, come on in, its a hot-button topic, by a low post-count member, and the regulars have showed up already.

I smell leftover bacon.

What does "a low post-count member" have to do with this topic?
    Obviously you do not appreciate all that the NRA has done for you.
    If you own a gun, you should be a member of the National Rifle Association!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am a member of the NRA because I chose to be. That being said, I don't think it's right to bully people into becoming members. (Referring to members posting here, not the range referenced by the OP.) Whether or not to join is a choice, not an obligation.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    My Club (Michigan City Rifle Club) requires NRA membership. Some of the reasons for this are as follows:

1. Despite all their many flaws the NRA does accomplish many, many good things for the sports shooting community, youth and women's programs, legislative endeavors, training, etc.

2. I can only assume that thousands or tens of thousands of clubs apply for grants each year from them. Being a 100% NRA member club does assist in dipping into this limited pool. Being a Gold Medal club helps a little more. We are non-profit so every little bit helps.

3. The Friends of the NRA have been very generous to us the last two years with grants to get our training program up and running. Without their support it would have been dead in the water.

4. While I agree with some comments that Fairfax has some shared traits with DC the rank and file of the NRA are overwhelmingly honest, helpful, insightful, good people. While the "head" sometimes looses contact with the "body", the body is solid and a great group of people.

5. It garners us some additional benefits not limited to cheaper insurance, Range technical team assistance, etc. They have also been available to advise us on legal issues such as tax issues, etc.

For us the benefits far out weight the negatives. While I respect each person's right to dislike the NRA I personally feel they accomplish more good than harm. Are they what I would like in a perfect world? No. In a perfect world perhaps we wouldn't need them. But in the here and now of our real world they are a needed organization and I proudly support them.

I would be happy to discuss with anyone further the benefits to our club for being 100% NRA were they to desire additional information.

**Disclaimer I am a both an active NRA Instructor and Benefactor member. I am also the MCRC Membership & Training Director.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What about my right to ride free? Free passage upon the land!
    Sorry, there's no Obama / Reid loudspeakers on this wagon! :lmfao:

What if you dont like the NRA and your a member of the GOA?
    That's fair enough, just pass on the NRA, and therefore, don't go to NRA ranges.

What would be UNfair would be to not join, or knock, the NRA, then 'demand' to be allowed at NRA member ranges. LOL, that would be left-loon tactics! :laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom