Law enforcement and personal carry question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a thought that just crossed my mind if I am not allowed to carry in " a gun free zone" why is a cop allowed to carry? On a second note what makes law enforcement so special that they are allowed to have thing that us peons can not say for a ex. 30 round mags and assault weapons in places alike California? How can law enforcement enforce laws if they do not know them?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not to the same extent, we don't go looking for it where as its in their job description. I'm not saying its right but I understand it to an extent. Don't forget the government lives in a fairy tale.

Are you being a devil's advocate here, or do you actually believe that it's acceptable for police officers to have privileges denied to private citizens?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The answer to the first part of your question is: because that's how the law is written.

Well, hard to argue with that...or at least I would have thought that before I joined INGO.

Don't like it? get the law changed...and many people are working to do just that.

However, the "I can't do it so cops shouldn't be able to" attitude some people have seems like it's leading in the exact opposite way than we want to go.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    However, the "I can't do it so cops shouldn't be able to" attitude some people have seems like it's leading in the exact opposite way than we want to go.

Absolutely! There has long been an opinion here that it's unfair that this group can do something that I can't, so we should take it away from that group. I get it, it's not right that one group has it better than another. I don't think the answer is bringing that group down, but rather lifting the other group up. This goes beyond guns and rights though. I've known people to complain about a certain group at work gets more days off or better benefits and the solution is to knock them down a peg until everyone is even. How does knocking Group A down help Group B at all?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Coroner cuts open a corpse and pokes around and its all "its his job". I cut open a corpse and poke around and its all "desecration of a human body". Some animals are created more equal than others, I guess.

Purple as needed.

Robert8252

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Are you being a devil's advocate here, or do you actually believe that it's acceptable for police officers to have privileges denied to private citizens?
    I apologize if that read wrong. I never said I believed it was right. There should be no difference in whats acceptable for any person in any state of the US no matter their occupation, but we all know that isn't happening. If given the option I will proudly vote for our rights to own what we wish, but I was simply answering the question on how it was possible for LEOs to do so according to the law. No matter what happens or what "rights" are given back to us the government will do what they can to keep the upper hand when doing so.

If this upsets someone I apologize for giving an opinion and will gladly read what others have to say, my views are only as good as what information has been given to me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I apologize if that read wrong. I never said I believed it was right. There should be no difference in whats acceptable for any person in any state of the US no matter their occupation, but we all know that isn't happening. If given the option I will proudly vote for our rights to own what we wish, but I was simply answering the question on how it was possible for LEOs to do so according to the law. No matter what happens or what "rights" are given back to us the government will do what they can to keep the upper hand when doing so.

If this upsets someone I apologize for giving an opinion and will gladly read what others have to say, my views are only as good as what information has been given to me.

Thanks for the clarification! I certainly wasn't upset ... just wasn't quite clear on your intent.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Here is a thought that just crossed my mind if I am not allowed to carry in " a gun free zone" why is a cop allowed to carry? On a second note what makes law enforcement so special that they are allowed to have thing that us peons can not say for a ex. 30 round mags and assault weapons in places alike California? How can law enforcement enforce laws if they do not know them?

The only "gun free zone" that I carry in is my daughter's school. But I don't advertise it so no one knows. In fact, the only time I advertise that I'm carrying is when I am on-duty, be it patrol or training. Any other time, no one knows I'm carrying. Keeps me from being hassled in "gun free zones."

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    The only "gun free zone" that I carry in is my daughter's school. But I don't advertise it so no one knows. In fact, the only time I advertise that I'm carrying is when I am on-duty, be it patrol or training. Any other time, no one knows I'm carrying. Keeps me from being hassled in "gun free zones."

totally agree and I am the same way!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Sometimes even cops are not allowed to carry in gun free zones:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-minnesota-police-sue-nfl-special-rights.html

Top Bottom