Spend $2500 of monopoly money or me. What would you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    If you had NO firearms and had a budget of $2500 and that is ALL you could ever spend on firearms and accessories, what would you get?

-Rules:
    -Don't go over $2500.
    -Be vague if you like but the more specific the better. Type, Make, Model, Caliber, special details, accessories, list price or sale price whatever, etc.
    -Give a quip about why you think everyone should agree with your selection
    -Any selection will do. Go for all Rifles if that's your style or Go all out and deck only 1 supreme firearm. Whatever floats your boat.

What rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, slings, bipods, lasers, or other would you buy?

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    An Even $2500 worth of monopoly money spent:

Rifles:
    Ruger 10/22 bare bones options, iron sights $350
    Everyone needs a .22

Savage Model 11 in .30-06, synthetic stock, 22" blued barrel, w/ 3-9 Bushnell scope, cabela's package deal $450
    Gotta have a .30 cal, because sometimes targets hide behind things or you want a bigger boom.

AR-15 Overall package $975
    Rock River Car A4 Kit Flat top upper $730
    Generic Lower Receiver $70
    BUIS $50
    Sling $25
    PMAGs $100
    AR's are like lego's for big kids.

Shotgun:
    Mossberg Maverick 88 pump, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore, bead sight. $200
    Sling $25
    Overall package $225
    Cheap and effective 12 guage pump can kill almost anything in North America if I do my part.

Pistol:
    CZ P07 Duty in 9mm $450
    Spare Magazine $50
    I've got tiny hands, like that burger king commercial, and this gun just fits.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    1. Custom AR build: 16" barrel: 1:8 twist. Any good brand receivers. Geissele ssa trigger. CTR stock. MBUS flip ups. Aimpoint micro T1 with 1 MOA dot, Aimpoint lower 1/3 co witness mount. Blue Force Gear Vickers 2pt sling. Build it yourself should come in around $1700 depending on your handguard and receivers.

2. S&W M&P 9mm. Raven Concealment holster and mag pouch. About $600.

3. Surefire x300. Can use on either gun. About $200.

I haven't priced all things things exactly but it should be close especially if you get some of those AR parts cheaper than I allowed for. If I was going over, I'd cut down the price by getting a cheaper red dot.

justification: you need a long gun. A 1:8 twist will allow the ubiquitous 55g as well as the heavier bullets at least up to 77g. A 16" barrel can be run in CQB and still hit accurately at 400yds. The Geiselle will help with the 400yd shot. An aimpoint 1moa is useful both in CQB and is small enough for accuracy at 400yds. A good sling is vital. Gotta have a good light. The handgun because you need a secondary weapon and sometimes a rifle is just too long. Also sometimes you want to be concealed. M&P because I prefer them. Put in a G19 or any other $450-$500 handgun.

Last edited:

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    Shotty-Remington 870 in 12ga or 20ga
    AR- PSA M4 Carbine or Colt 6920 w/ irons
    Handguns- Full size & sub-compact glock, same caliber. (17/26 or 21/30)
    22LR- Decent bolt-action from Ruger or Savage

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    An Even $2500 worth of monopoly money spent:

Rifles:
    Ruger 10/22 bare bones options, iron sights $350
    Everyone needs a .22

Savage Model 11 in .30-06, synthetic stock, 22" blued barrel, w/ 3-9 Bushnell scope, cabela's package deal $450
    Gotta have a .30 cal, because sometimes targets hide behind things or you want a bigger boom.

AR-15 Overall package $975
    Rock River Car A4 Kit Flat top upper $730
    Generic Lower Receiver $70
    BUIS $50
    Sling $25
    PMAGs $100
    AR's are like lego's for big kids.

Shotgun:
    Mossberg Maverick 88 pump, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore, bead sight. $200
    Sling $25
    Overall package $225
    Cheap and effective 12 guage pump can kill almost anything in North America if I do my part.

Pistol:
    CZ P07 Duty in 9mm $450
    Spare Magazine $50
    I've got tiny hands, like that burger king commercial, and this gun just fits.

Now you have 5 guns with zero ammo.

I would purchase a rifle and a handgun and spend the rest on ammo and some accessories.
    AR-15 in 5.56 ~ $700
    S&W M&P FS (9 or 40) ~ $700
    ------------------------------
    ~$1400

AMMO (~$750)
    5.56 (800 rnd) (.45/rnd)
    9mm or .40 (1000) (.37/rnd)
    ---------------------------
    ~$730 +/- $20 for taxes

ACCESSORIES (~$350)
    handgun holster
    gun cleaning kit
    LTCH (~$75 Life license)
    Cheap rifle case
    (10) AR mags - GI mags are cheap but wobble considerably while PMAGS are more money yet silent.
    (3+) handgun mags. Handgun should already come with 2, so buy at least one more.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~$2500 spent and you're ready to shoot.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Just guns and accessories? Don't have to include ammo in this $2500?

I was starting out with this:
    IWI Tavor- $1650
    Aimpoint Pro- $400

Then came to the realization that there wouldn't be enough money for magazines and a good handgun.

Soo
    AK47/74 with a good amount of mags and an aimpoint pro
    M&P 9 with a good amount of mags
    and a 10/22 because you just gotta have one

Any money left over will be spent on duplicate weapons if funds allow

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Shotgun - Remington 870 w/2 barrels (smooth & rifle bore for defensive and hunting purposes)
    Due to lack of funds, this will be your long range firearm, hence the rifled barrel.
    Accessories would be limited to a sling, moderately priced scope, & bore snake.
    $600 total

Sidearm - M&P (caliber of your choosing, but I'd go .40 S&W for availabilty & moderate price)
    Mid-level priced pistol for quality & reliability
    Accessories would be a couple extra mags, quality holster, and Lifetime LTCH
    $750 total

Rifle - Savage Mark II in .17hmr
    Ammo is readily available & on par ($) with 9mm.
    More versatile than 22lr (slightly longer range and ability to drop slightly larger game)
    Accessories would be another moderately priced scope, a ten round mag, and a sling.
    $550 total

That leaves $600 for ammo purchases. Not much, but it's better than nothing, and you have 3 guns.
    Most expensive round will be the sabot slugs for rifled barrel shotgun.

Tough assignment, but good post!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Shotgun - Remington 870 w/2 barrels (smooth & rifle bore for defensive and hunting purposes)
    Due to lack of funds, this will be your long range firearm, hence the rifled barrel.
    Accessories would be limited to a sling, moderately priced scope, & bore snake.
    $600 total

Sidearm - M&P (caliber of your choosing, but I'd go .40 S&W for availabilty & moderate price)
    Mid-level priced pistol for quality & reliability
    Accessories would be a couple extra mags, quality holster, and Lifetime LTCH
    $750 total

Rifle - Savage Mark II in .17hmr
    Ammo is readily available & on par ($) with 9mm.
    More versatile than 22lr (slightly longer range and ability to drop slightly larger game)
    Accessories would be another moderately priced scope, a ten round mag, and a sling.
    $550 total

That leaves $600 for ammo purchases. Not much, but it's better than nothing, and you have 3 guns.
    Most expensive round will be the sabot slugs for rifled barrel shotgun.

Tough assignment, but good post!

Only problem with .17hmr is it absolutely destroys some of the smaller furry creatures with fluffy tails.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am going to assume OP considers ammo to be consumable and replaceable. We also have to assume holsters, belts and magazines do not wear out.

1) 1911 - quality entry level model. I would go with a Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Range Officer -$750ish
    2) Glock 19 add night sights. I actually like the - OEM connector out of a G34, no othrr do dads - $550ish
    These pistols represent a sort of standard for defense pistols. A person can shoot all the gun games as well. For belt and holster I would go beltman and Comp-Tac MTAC for the Glock and Wilson Combat Lo Profile for the 1911.

3) Ruger 10/22 with tech sights. I like the longer 20" model without the barrel band. Not sure if they still offer - $350ish
    4) Mossberg 500 with 26" VR and 18.5" defense barrel. $350ish

The rest I would buy mags and some mag holders

Top Bottom