• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jabbett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Maybe I am off base but here goes. I see people post "dupe" when someone creates a thread that covers the same subject as a previuos thread. It almost seems like they get a rise out of pointing out duplicated threads to everyone.

I understand the good in trying to keep the forum "clean" , saving server space, etc. There are probably other reasons that I am not aware of but riddle me this.

Isn't posting "dupe" just as much of a waste of server space as a duplicated thread? Someone posting "Dupe" clutters the forum up just as much as anything else.

Who has the time to read EVERY thread in every section on the forum before creating a new one? Posts more than a day or more old get pushed down and may never be read by a lot of people. Some topics are important enough to warrant more than one thread.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Usually when a dupe thread is posted up and pointed out one thread will either be closed or the threads merged.

You can also use the search function to see if another thread already exist

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    No, not everyone can read every post in every thread, but it just so happens this site is equipped with an awesome "SEARCH BAR" it's not very hard to do a quick search and make sure someone hasn't covered that topic before you create a new thread.

And posting 'DUPE' on a duplicate thread allows the mods to notice it and close the thread..
    this allowing the thoughts from one subject to be centered under one thread..

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I disagree.... The"dupe" lets the OP, and others know that there is already a thread discussing the same subject as theirs. It will also, maybe answer some questions some posters in the "dupe" thread will ask. Also it will not clutter the messages board as the mods will be by shortly to delete the "dupe" thread. I have posted many times on the same subject as others (mostly sports), to find out that there was already a post about the same subject.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    No, not everyone can read every post in every thread, but it just so happens this site is equipped with an awesome "SEARCH BAR" it's not very hard to do a quick search and make sure someone hasn't covered that topic before you create a new thread.

And posting 'DUPE' on a duplicate thread allows the mods to notice it and close the thread..
    this allowing the thoughts from one subject to be centered under one thread..
    Really? An awesome search bar? I wouldnt go that far:D

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Ok, I'll say it. Yes, off base. With the recent proliferation of new users it has become, what I'd consider, a problem. There are so many frigging dupes it is wasting member time and the boards server space.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Duplicate threads aren't so much a waste of "server space" but rather they simply don't organize a discussion efficiently. Many times we see the exact same articles posted within minutes of each other because INGOers are pretty quick about sharing information.

I don't have a problem if someone wants to point out a "dupe", but I would ask that they go a step further and provide the link to the original thread so that future readers can be re-routed.

Once a Moderator sees a duplicate thread we typically will merge it with the original discussion to keep things all in one place. In some cases if we catch it early and there are no replies we might simply provide the new link and close the thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom