Who do we call about the turn around time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I am really new here.
    I just sent in my first form 4 for a 22 suppressor in January.
    So forgive any ignorance or apparent impudence but...

Who do we have to call to shorten the wait time for returning tax stamp forms?
    6 months is ridiculous.
    Is there anyone in congress or a gun lobby that can help?
    Is there anything I can do?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Congress could via legislation require Justice to fill out the examiner positions in conjunction with appropriating money for more examiners.

Better than this they could repeal NFA or remove certain things from its per view, like suppressors or SB(R-S)'s. Or they could legislate a streamlined process.

A lot could be done by Justice as well, but it won't because the whole system is designed to discourage NFA ownership.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Yes call 1-800-555-1234 and ask for Sam, tell him INGO told you to call him.

Tell him you want to speed up your form 4 process! He will ask your name and serial number of the silencer. This will shave off aprox. 4-5 months! ;)

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Congress could via legislation require Justice to fill out the examiner positions in conjunction with appropriating money for more examiners.

Better than this they could repeal NFA or remove certain things from its per view, like suppressors or SB(R-S)'s. Or they could legislate a streamlined process.

A lot could be done by Justice as well, but it won't because the whole system is designed to discourage NFA ownership.

Ryan...the rain man of NFA! lol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I am really new here.
    I just sent in my first form 4 for a 22 suppressor in January.
    So forgive any ignorance or apparent impudence but...

Who do we have to call to shorten the wait time for returning tax stamp forms?
    6 months is ridiculous.
    Is there anyone in congress or a gun lobby that can help?
    Is there anything I can do?
    In short, no, nothing will speed up the process with the current system.

The best thing to do is write to your Congressman often asking for the tax stamp money to be appropriated to the NFA branch to hire 40 more examiners to process paperwork.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I know of someone that is meeting with a Senator's CoS over the issue. It is derelict that 5 examiner positions remain unfilled.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As the others noted its not a simple "write this guy and complain" deal. You can write your congressman and tell him what you think and thats about it. For some reason NFA branch seems to have enough money to support an excess of attorney's but not enough to pay for the people who actually help the office bring in tax money. They need more examiners which are fairly low paying entry level positions and they need a lot less lawyers who are much higher up the pay scale and much less useful in the operation of the division. Canning a couple lawyers would probably give them the funds to hire 4 or 5 more people who actually do useful work.

Frank

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    why cant they make it like a 4473 one call and done esp. if it's your 2,3,etc, NFA Item they already have all you info and you would take the paper load off them for repeat owners it would have to speed the ones for first time buyers

Oh wait a min that makes since I forgot we are taking about gov my mistake duh

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    why cant they make it like a 4473 one call and done esp. if it's your 2,3,etc, NFA Item they already have all you info and you would take the paper load off them for repeat owners it would have to speed the ones for first time buyers

Oh wait a min that makes since I forgot we are taking about gov my mistake duh

Really, it should be this easy, especially since you have to have local law enforcement sign off on your forms first (and get finger printed). So basically, you already passed one check. There is no reason not to use the instant check system for this at all. There is no difference in the requirements of the check you have to pass.

It's just typical government obstruction.

Though I did hear that starting this year (exactly when I don't know) the local law enforcement approval requirement is being removed. At least that's what my dealer and another Class III dealer I talked to told me.

Top Bottom