• ...and so much more!
  • baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the state. I grew up around NWI but have been away for college and work for nearly 2 decades. Now I'm back. I'm coming from a state that was very NFA friendly. Now I live in the Crown Point area, and would like to finally take the plunge to get a suppressor.

I'm curious to know if anyone up here has any knowledge of whether the local law enforcement official will sign the application for such an item? I assume I'd be going to the Crown Point Police, as I'm within the city limits, and not the Lake County Sheriff. If you have any knowledge of whether he/she is amenable, please let me know.

Thanks!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't have knowledge of that, but maybe you can just call and ask?

If the local LEO won't sign there is always the trust route; that gets you a lot of other benefits in addition to avoiding the local LEO signature.

Also being new to Indiana, we are also very NFA friendly but there are a few chiefs that aren't and there are a few laws we're working to overcome. All NFA firearms are legal in IN except Short-barrel shotguns and explosive destructive-devices. You can get close to a short barrel shotgun by choosing a Serbu Super Shorty style AOW etc.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If there is any doubt just go the trust route. It is really easy to pass on the NFA item. All my stuff goes to my son. It was easy, fast and not exspencive. I was recommented Grant Liston by a fellow ingo'er. He handled it all. And answered all my questions before and since I did my trust.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I called my local PD and asked to speak with the chief. Chiefs secretary asked what it was regarding, so I told her I wanted to know if he would sign a form 4 for an NFA item, she immeditly said "drop them off and Hell sign off on them". So I did, and he did!! Easy peasy

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys. I will have to call. The trust route is a good one, however with the recent press on some of the advantages of the trust being taken away by executive order, I was curious to know what the local LEO's standpoint would be. Who know's if its going to happen or not in Washington, but I figure I'd like to be prepared either way.

If anyone has direct knowledge of the standpoint of the Crown Point chief on this, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brian

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks guys. I will have to call. The trust route is a good one, however with the recent press on some of the advantages of the trust being taken away by executive order, I was curious to know what the local LEO's standpoint would be. Who know's if its going to happen or not in Washington, but I figure I'd like to be prepared either way.
    First, that is just rumor and speculation, just like the speculation that IN Lifetime LTCH is going away. That's been circulated in the rumor mill since the day it was passed nearly a decade ago. I wouldn't put much credibility in the rumor-mill, it has a tendency to spread things that aren't true...

Even if it were true trusts still offer many advantages, the prime one for me is the fact that my wife, brother, & father are all listed as trustees and they can also take my NFA goodies and use them out of my presence...

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If there is any doubt just go the trust route. It is really easy to pass on the NFA item. All my stuff goes to my son. It was easy, fast and not exspencive. I was recommented Grant Liston by a fellow ingo'er. He handled it all. And answered all my questions before and since I did my trust.

I would recommend Mr Liston as well, I talked to him on the phone for a few minutes, by email for a few more, and had my trust a few days later, and a bill for it a few days after that. Quick, easy, and relatively cheap (less than $400)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the state. I grew up around NWI but have been away for college and work for nearly 2 decades. Now I'm back. I'm coming from a state that was very NFA friendly. Now I live in the Crown Point area, and would like to finally take the plunge to get a suppressor.

I'm curious to know if anyone up here has any knowledge of whether the local law enforcement official will sign the application for such an item? I assume I'd be going to the Crown Point Police, as I'm within the city limits, and not the Lake County Sheriff. If you have any knowledge of whether he/she is amenable, please let me know.

Thanks!

My 5 stamps say that both he and his predecessor sign off. ;)

Crown Point is pretty large. Are you inside incorporated city limits? If not, you have to go to the sheriff.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm in the city limits. Its the new subdivision east of Broadway off of 113th. So City Police it is. Good to hear he'll sign, especially since the trust we just had set up will soon require it anyway. We (co trust owner and I) did get one item bought before the change. We'll see if they process it or not.

-Brian

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    First, that is just rumor and speculation, just like the speculation that IN Lifetime LTCH is going away.

Huh? How are the proposed changes from ATF (currently in the comment period) and the EO's from Obama (which basically lets him take credit for the changes ATF already had in work) just "rumor and speculation?"

There is a very real chance that very soon anyone in your trust/corp/etc who has access to the firearm you are applying for will have to do the whole fingerprints/LE-signature/photos nonsense. Not just rumors. The ATF had apparently been willing to do away w/ LE-signoff as a compromise. That either went away when Obama caught wind and decided to take credit, or ATF never actually intended to compromise (now they are just tweaking the wording the LE is giving his signature to).

There's a [slim] chance the change won't happen, or will be modified from the current proposal, but the change is IN PROCESS.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-09-09/pdf/2013-21661.pdf

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/f...uctive-devices-and-certain-other-firearms.pdf

Regulations.gov

http://lonelymachines.org/2013/09/08/proposed-changes-to-nfa-rules/

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom