• bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    At Least 8 Shot In Downtown High-Rise - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

This is happening now.

This is why no company should ban their employees from carrying legal firearms. Go ahead and have intimidation rules, violence rules, etc... :twocents:

Prayers go out to all involved.

(I'm sure better coverage will be available soon... please post articles you may find here!)

At least eight people were injured in a mass shooting inside a downtown Orlando high-rise just before noon Friday, according to the Orlando Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to Gateway Center at 1000 Legion Place around 11:30 a.m. The building is near Lake Ivanhoe.

All patients have been taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center. At least four of the eight patients are serious trauma cases. The ORMC ER is closed to patients due to the shootings.

According to Orlando Fire Department District Chief Michael Droege, an unknown number of people are still in the building and could be injured. He said the SWAT team is still trying to pull people out of the building.

WESH 2 reporter Gail Paschall-Brown, who is at the scene on the ground, said that 15 employees came out of the building very distraught. Paschall-Brown spoke with one who said that a former employee came into the office who hadn't worked at the company in over a year.

At least six ambulances and dozens of police cars and fire engines have arrived at the scene.

Orlando Fire Department spokeswoman Vicky Robles said a shooter has not been taken into custody.

"We don't know who they are," Robles said.

Cameras in downtown Orlando showed authorities closing some streets around the center.

Interstate 4 eastbound has been shut down while police converge on the area. Nearby Edgewater High School has also been locked down.

Last edited:

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Another shooting

Orlando this time. 8 shot, 2 dead so far.

Glad I got my license app in...hope I get it soon.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    This crap pisses me off, if I were to carry here @ work, I'd be FIRED!

I'm starting to wonder if taking that risk is worth it this day and age.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I just saw it on the TV in the lobby of my office building on my way back from lunch. (probably tuned to CNN... lol)

After a quick trip to the toilet and a quick search to verify not already on INGO, I posted... looks like a couple other folks were posting at that same moment. Thanks for the merge.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is a real tragedy for the victime and their families. It also highlights the primary argument for carrying a weapon for personal defense...the argument being that you truly never know when/if you will find yourself in a life threatening situation.

The victims of this idiot did nothing today but go into work, return calls and e-mails and try to earn a living for their families. They were NOT walking down a dark alley in Crackville, buying drugs, hanging out with gang bangers or anything else that a thinking person would have known to avoid. No, they simply went to work.

It is unreasonable for most employers to assure the protection of their employees from idiots like this guy - and equally unreasonable for those employers to deny employees the ability to protect themselves. I am a firm believer that the property owner should have the right to set their own rules on their own property, but I sure hate that so many employers fail to understand that criminals like this guy will act however they choose regardless of the rules.

Workplace rules are much the same as laws - they only affect the behavior of people who were not the problem in the first place. Criminals have already chosen a path that, by definition, disregards rules and laws.

Prayers to the victims and their families and wishes that the gunman resists when he is captured. There is a proper ending for people like him and it's NOT getting three squares on MY tax dollar.

Top Bottom