Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Huntington Bank
    1267 N Emerson Ave
    Greenwood, IN 46143
    (317) 887-8820

I've been banking here longer than I care to remember. I've openly carried a firearm into this bank since I've had a LTCH. Most of the tellers know me and know I'm always a positive attitude customer.

About a half hour ago I was out doing some errands and had to stop by the bank as one of them. I walk in, smile, and greet the tellers and other employees then I make a B-line straight for the table to fill out a withdraw slip. As I start to fill out the slip I hear:

Teller: Are you police?
    Me: No.
    Teller: *Puzzled look*
    Me: *continute filling out slip*
    Teller: Then why do you have a weapon?
    Me: Because I'm a law abiding citizen with a license to.
    Teller: You can't have a weapon in a bank.
    Me: I have a License To Carry Hangun issued by the State of Indiana. It is completely legal for me to have a firearm in a bank.
    Teller: Do I need to call the police?
    Me: Do I need to speak to a manager?
    Teller: *says something under her breath*
    Me: We'll talk more after I finish this slip.

I didn't know if she had pushed a silent alarm or what. I just didn't know so I finish filling out my withdraw slip and walk up to the counter. I hand her the withdraw slip. She asks for my ID and I hand it to her. She scolds it for a moment and then hands it back. A few customers walk in and are in line behind me. She handed me the cash and I put it in my wallet. When I finish I say:

Me: Yes, just so you know, in the State of Indiana, it is not illegal to carry a firearm into a bank. If you see me or any other customers in here with a holstered weapon please don't assume we're criminals. I will be calling your manager to speak to him about this.
    Teller: Whatever you say.
    Me: Have a good rest of your day.

To be fair, I have never seen this teller before. She may be new to this location but I did not appreciate being threatened by calling the police. I don't even understand why she would threaten to call the police and then not follow through with it. Anyways, I called the bank when I got home and asked to speak to the manager. Whoever picked up said that he was out to lunch and that he would be back in about half an hour so I left my name and number for him to call back. Ugh.

-----------------------------------------------
    Update:
    Ok, I just had a pleasant and respectful conversation with the bank manager. We touched base with their firearms policy, lack of no weapons sign, and the teller.

Huntington Bank, at least at this location, does "not have a policy against weapons" but they do "prefer you not carry into the bank." They prefer I "use the drive through or ATM instead." He said that they "ask to see a badge or ID" if police officers carry into the bank.

I asked why they did not have a "no weapons" sign and he said that the location of the bank is such that they do not need it. I understood this but I did not see the logic in the reason.

As far as the teller, the manager said, that she was very nervous as she has been involved in robberies before. I said that I understand that but there was no need for her to threaten calling the police since there was no law being broken. I said that I tried to educate her on the law regarding legally carrying a firearm into a bank and she refused to hear it. He said that they have already talked about what happened and he will deal with the teller accordingly.

That was that.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Handled about as well as you could have. Will be interested to know how the manager responds when you get around to talking to him/her.

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    I'm curious to hear about the follow-up from the manager.

I don't know if I've ever seen any CCTV footage of a bank robbery where the assailant had a holstered weapon, lol.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm curious to hear about the follow-up from the manager.

I don't know if I've ever seen any CCTV footage of a bank robbery where the assailant had a holstered weapon, lol.
    I can understand a person who didn't grow up around firearms or who has never held one being a little iffy but the way she acted was as if I was going to rip it out of my holster and start shooting at any moment. Maybe her dose of Fox News was a little too much during the last six months.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    Some banks are like that. My wife works at KeyBank and they have the 'trap-door' entrance that scans for metallic objects. One of her co-workers is married to a police officer and the manager knows him but has told the tellers that any other officer he doesn't know will not be allowed in..which makes for an interesting dilemna, especially if the officer has an account there!

On one hand, it is a private establishment, and if they don't want firearms there, that is their right to refuse service. There are a lot of banks out there to do business with, along with establishments that don't throw a fit about firearms. I patronize Those businesses!

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I bank with Regions and they have a no hats/sunglasses policy that is posted at the entrance. I went in there one day a week or two ago on my way home from court, in full uniform, and was told that I must remove my sunglasses for security purposes :n00b: I said "if that makes you feel safer then I'll be happy to!"

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Some banks are like that. My wife works at KeyBank and they have the 'trap-door' entrance that scans for metallic objects. One of her co-workers is a police officer and the manager knows him but has told the tellers that any other officer he doesn't know will not be allowed in..which makes for an interesting dilemna, especially if the officer has an account there!

On one hand, it is a private establishment, and if they don't want firearms there, that is their right to refuse service. There are a lot of banks out there to do business with, along with establishments that don't throw a fit about firearms. I patronize Those businesses!

Does it actually trap folks based on metal content? So, a fake hip would cause someone to get trapped? A large belt buckle?

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    A red button flashes and the door won't open until the teller over-rides the lock. The customer is told to empty all pockets and then proceed with a green light. Body parts? I dunno..have to ask her about that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Very simple solution - Don't give these places your business.

I would never bank somewhere that had the double-door, or a "no firearms" sign/policy.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    ATM your business or drive through. My wife was a former Bank employee and even with cameras and alarms, was on edge about being robbed. It did happen once, no gun displayed, but a note. She quit the job a week later. The manager wasn't too alert or they would have observed the interaction, maybe hid due to the observance.

Once, I applied to do a part time Bank Guard position, they told me it was un armed, "no thanks". You cannot talk a bank robber out of violence if they pull a weapon and decide to rob it. Stupid or gutsy with all the videos? Still dangerous job.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    I agree! I do mine at another bank. I don't think PNC has a policy, but then I don't open-carry so there are no doors to deal with, or any workers that may be frightened by a firearm.
    Off-topic sort of, but I've never understood those who do open-carry. Yeah, there is no law prohibiting it, but just because you Can do something..does it mean you Should? If I was a criminal and saw someone carrying, they would be my first target to remove and proceed with my nefarious acts.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree! I do mine at another bank. I don't think PNC has a policy, but then I don't open-carry so there are no doors to deal with.
    Off-topic sort of, but I've never understood those who do open-carry. Yeah, there is no law prohibiting it, but just because you Can do something..does it mean you Should? If I was a criminal and saw someone carrying, they would be my first target to remove and proceed with my nefarious acts.

You might want to drop in here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Do these banks lock you out, or actually confine you without your consent?

I imagine they lock the interior door, and keep the exterior door unlocked. I don't think they would be dumb enough to actually trap people inside.

I do remember once my father went into a gas station and got into some kind of argument with the cashier. Can't for the life of me remember what it was about now... but he raised his voice at her and she told him she was calling the police. He decided to leave at that point, and she LOCKED the doors with some button behind the counter.

So you are scared of someone, but you lock them INSIDE with you? It wasn't a walled in counter, or bullet resistant glass or anything either.

Father called 911 himself, but they wouldn't arrest the cashier for locking him inside. And he didn't do anything illegal, so they let him go home, just made sure to give the cashier a talking to.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ATM your business or drive through. My wife was a former Bank employee and even with cameras and alarms, was on edge about being robbed. It did happen once, no gun displayed, but a note. She quit the job a week later. The manager wasn't too alert or they would have observed the interaction, maybe hid due to the observance.

Or pick a different bank.

I agree! I do mine at another bank. I don't think PNC has a policy, but then I don't open-carry so there are no doors to deal with, or any workers that may be frightened by a firearm.

If you're interested in debating OC vs CC
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

Looks like eldirector was faster on the keyboard.

The OP had previously OC'd in this bank for years. No problem. So how is it his problem now?

Top Bottom