• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I know that it is against IN law to carry inside of the statehouse but what about the general statehouse grounds? At what point do my rights get stripped?

Side walk
    steps
    statehouse property line
    doors

I'm thinking of going to the Tea Party on the 15th and want to make sure I stay legal.

Thanks

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    From my reading of the "rule", it is the whole grounds; sidewalks, parking garages, etc. I think they would have a tough time arresting hundreds of people who choose to exercize their Constituional rights all @ the same time & in the same location, though.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    From my reading of the "rule", it is the whole grounds; sidewalks, parking garages, etc. I think they would have a tough time arresting hundreds of people who choose to exercize their Constituional rights all @ the same time & in the same location, though.

Do you have a link to the "rule?" I'm also going to the Tea Party & didn't think being in the lawn would be a problem? Thanks!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Do you have a link to the "rule?" I'm also going to the Tea Party & didn't think being in the lawn would be a problem? Thanks!

No. It will take someone more skilled than me to navigate the "Indiana Register" on IN.gov. I know that when the rule was being proposed, the powers that be went to great length to covertly have public hearings on this. I know that there is a copy in "Indiana Handgun Law", by Bryan Ciyou.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's not against any law. It's a violation of administrative regulations that were imposed with what bordered on secrecy. The dept of administration chose to adhere to the bare minimum legal requirement for notifying the public of the impending regulations and "security," which nicely avoided almost all public knowledge or chance to comment before it became a done deal. That was no accident.

This is one of the sore spots in Indiana. We who choose to be armed are now unable to enter our own statehouse for legitimate business, while judges, police officers, and all of the elected officials are not subject to the same rules. In addition, while it's "against the rules" for state employees to be armed on the premises, they ALL bypass the metal detectors by showing a state ID card. The statehouse and gov't centers campus is no more secure than a sieve. The so-called "security" measures only deter people who aren't the ones who are going to commit unprovoked violent acts.

Note how there has been zero incidents of problems with people who were lawfully armed in the statehouse or the other buildings in the past. It's a poorly-conceived, ineffective, politically-motivated non-solution to a non-existent problem. The only effects it has had has been irritate people like me and put people who would otherwise be lawfully armed at greater risk.

I know that it is against IN law to carry inside of the statehouse but what about the general statehouse grounds? At what point do my rights get stripped?

Side walk
    steps
    statehouse property line
    doors

I'm thinking of going to the Tea Party on the 15th and want to make sure I stay legal.

Thanks

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's not against any law. It's a violation of administrative regulations that were imposed with what bordered on secrecy. The dept of administration chose to adhere to the bare minimum legal requirement for notifying the public of the impending regulations and "security," which nicely avoided almost all public knowledge or chance to comment before it became a done deal. That was no accident.

This is one of the sore spots in Indiana. We who choose to be armed are now unable to enter our own statehouse for legitimate business, while judges, police officers, and all of the elected officials are not subject to the same rules. In addition, while it's "against the rules" for state employees to be armed on the premises, they ALL bypass the metal detectors by showing a state ID card. The statehouse and gov't centers campus is no more secure than a sieve. The so-called "security" measures only deter people who aren't the ones who are going to commit unprovoked violent acts.

Note how there has been zero incidents of problems with people who were lawfully armed in the statehouse or the other buildings in the past. It's a poorly-conceived, ineffective, politically-motivated non-solution to a non-existent problem. The only effects it has had has been irritate people like me and put people who would otherwise be lawfully armed at greater risk.

So when do start petitioning OUR public servants to repeal that bogus rule?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So when do start petitioning OUR public servants to repeal that bogus rule?

Some of us spent weeks (months) trying to fight it. We were essentially ignored. I haven't given up, but I don't have the time or endurance to keep fighting that battle right now.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Carry anywhere on the property is prohibited. I called the ISP Last week before I went down for the Revolt. I parked at the State Park so I wouldn't be in violation. Funny thing is, as my daughter and I entered from the south end there was no one manning the metal detectors. We walked right past them.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Carry anywhere on the property is prohibited. I called the ISP Last week before I went down for the Revolt. I parked at the State Park so I wouldn't be in violation. Funny thing is, as my daughter and I entered from the south end there was no one manning the metal detectors. We walked right past them.

I know that inside is no-go because of the metal det. but how is it enforeced outside? Such as the south side for the tea party?

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    According to what I found, it's the entire grounds (including "The land adjacent to these buildings that is owned and controlled by the state").

Here's a link:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T02400/A00090.PDF
    Indiana General Assembly - Indiana Register

240 IAC 9-2-1 Definitions

Sec. 1. The following definitions apply throughout this article:
    (1) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:
    (A) A loaded or unloaded firearm
    (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5).
    (B) A destructive device, weapon, device, taser (as defined in IC 35-47-8-3), electronic stun weapon (as defined in IC
    35-47-8-1), or stun gun (as defined in IC 35-47-8-2), equipment, including knives, chemical substance, or other material,
    that, in the manner it is used, or could ordinarily be used, or is intended to be used, is readily capable of causing serious
    bodily injury.
    (C) A biological disease, virus, or organism that is capable of causing serious bodily injury.

<snip>

(4) "Indiana government center campus" means the following:
    (A) The state capitol building.
    (B) The Indiana government center-north.
    (C) The Indiana government center-south.
    (D) The state library.
    (E) The Washington Street garage.
    (F) The Senate Avenue garage.
    (G) The land adjacent to these buildings that is owned and controlled by the state.

<snip>

240 IAC 9-3-1 Weapons and devices prohibited
    Authority: IC 10-11-2-28
    Affected: IC 10-11-2-28; IC 35-41-1-25
    Sec. 1. No person in possession of a deadly weapon, destructive device, weapon of mass destruction, or any other device
    commonly used in furtherance of terrorism, or is readily capable of causing serious bodily injury (as defined by IC 35-41-1-25) as
    determined by an authorized law enforcement officer shall be permitted into or permitted to remain in the Indiana government center
    campus. (State Police Department; 240 IAC 9-3-1; filed Feb 20, 2007, 3:17 p.m.: 20070321-IR-240060418FRA)

Top Bottom