Police logic behind self defense shooting....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    The police information officer in this story reveals the logic of self-defense in a shooting. Yes I know it is in Tennessee and not Indiana but the laws are very much the same in both states.

Of course the shooter in this story will probably end up losing his HCP for this, I think we can all learn from the quote from the officer.

Truck owner shoots at truck thieves at Walmart - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

"If you're shooting someone because they are stealing, no, you are not justified in that shooting. But as long as a person can articulate that they were in fear they are going to be seriously hurt or killed or someone else is going to be seriously hurt or killed, then you have the right to shoot at that suspect."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The owner was not shooting at suspects, he was shooting at his own truck. "officer, I had no reasonable expectation to think that someone should be illegally trespassing inside my truck."

With a a jury made up of F-150 owners (jury of his peers!) he is off scott-free. I have owned a F-150...... I completely understand shooting at one.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    The owner was not shooting at suspects, he was shooting at his own truck. "officer, I had no reasonable expectation to think that someone should be illegally trespassing inside my truck."

With a a jury made up of F-150 owners (jury of his peers!) he is off scott-free. I have owned a F-150...... I completely understand shooting at one.
    That funny

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Totally NOT a justified shooting. All he did was make the rest of us look bad and give the antis more ammo to use against us. This is one reason why some states require a basic course.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    He had every right to shoot at them as they were driving away with his vehicle. :ar15:

I would be shooting at them as long as I could - safely. Whatever it takes.
    Dirtbags = Criminals.
    You can not assume that they will stop at grand theft, but anticipate rape, murder and home invasion.............. this is where you say, What?

Remember, The Dirtbags also have your paperwork with your home address and whatever else you left in your vehicle. Maybe an address book? Your appointments? Friends and family's addresses. Do you have kids at home? A wife? Don't you fear for their lives.

Minority Reportish? :dunno:

What if you also keep a gun in your vehicle. Would this step up the ante?

They took your ride - Yes, your a dumbass for that, but you'd better not let that vehicle leave the parking lot. Maybe even flag someone down that will help you give chase. Jail time, maybe, friends and family safe? - absolutely.

I know it sounds like hindsight but I have thought this all over, many years ago - even when living in states with much less rights than Indiana.

Reminds me of robberies when the victims think that if they just hand over the money, they will all be OK. He's just a thief, right? Then they get shot, beat down or worse.

Assume nothing - Anticipate everything.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Haven't we all felt like shooting at our Fords?:laugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Totally a justified shooting. Too bad the law doesn't see it that way.

In another thread about identity theft, I wrote that that ought to be eligible for the death penalty...Too bad in that list of things where deadly force may be justified, it doesn't include verbiage something along the lines of: 'stopping the act of theft'.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    What a jackass; His truck is being stolen so kill them.

Now the nearby school is in lockdown.

Now the store is in lockdown.

I wonder if he thought about where his bullets were ending up, I imagine there were people all over that parking lot.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So here's a question; Let's say someone is trying to steal my truck, as I am coming out from paying for my gas (a more likely scenario), what if I started firing at the tires, to disable the vehicle? No, my life is probably not in danger, but I am preventing a felony.

Covered??

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I can tell you this much; some moron shooting at a moving truck in a parking lot is a hell of a lot bigger threat than a car thief.

If I am in a parking lot with my family and some idiot starts shooting at a truck moving through it, if any of those bullets comes near (or god forbid) hits my wife or one of my five kids, I will draw down and shoot him....justifiably!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I wonder how much time he spent thinking about what was behind his precious property that he was "protecting".

I completely disagree that a shooting like this is justified. It's not just about personal property and whether you believe it is worth taking a perp's life to protect. It's also about letting rounds fly in public setting. Completely irresponsible, imho.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    If more Judges, Lawyers, and Insurance agents got robed the laws might be different. Until then I guess us honest folks are just going to be victims. I think we should employ hand removal again for thieves personally. Now that's a deterant!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.