Open carry in Anderson, 2 good encounters and then not so good.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I'm reposting this here from opencarry.org since this site is more local.

September 2nd
    We are currently moving and since I've been spending a lot of time at storage and at the other house late at night and alone, I've been carrying my LC9 with me. I usually carry it anyway, I just made it a point this time. On Friday I picked my son up from daycare and was going to take him to the library to keep him out of my wife's way while she got some boxes packed. I put my son on my shoulders and started to walk into the doors. I have my LC9 in a waistband holster and I carry it up front. Immediately on the other side of the door was an APD officer. When the door opened he looked down, looked at me, and asked if I had my permit. I produced the permit for him and he asked if the address is correct, I said yes. I expected him to ask for my ID (I wasn't going to give it to him) but he didn't. That actually surprised me a lot. He handed my permit back and and said he would like it if I would conceal it while I was in the library so it doesn't 'freak people out.' I didn't have the chance to tell him I wasn't going to conceal it because he immeadiatly said the library closes in 10 minutes. I forgot they close early on Friday so I just told him that I forgot about that and I was going to just leave. I was really surprised at how professional he was about it and that he didn't keep harassing me or say something like the gun wasn't allowed in the library.

Later that night we were moving some stuff on the trailer and a friend of mine was helping me. We stopped at the gas station to get drinks and fuel. There was a Sheriff parked in the lot and he was standing in the store talking to the clerk. I looked at my friend and said, 'this probably isn't going to go well.' We went in and he noticed the gun right away but didn't say anything. I nodded and said 'morning' to both of them and walked away from them towards the candy. Then I walked past the Sheriff again to get my drink. When I went up to the counter to pay for the stuff the Sheriff asked me if that was a LC9 I was carrying. I said yes and he asked me to take it out so he could see it. I said, 'yeah that sounds like a good idea, pull a gun out with a cop standing next to me.' He got a chuckle out of that and I took it out to show it to him. We ended up having a conversation for 10 minutes about guns and the ammo we like to shoot from them. He never asked for my permit or ID.

Looking back I should have gotten their names and put in a call to inform their supervisors about how good of a job they did. If I see them again I will make sure to do that.

After reading some stories and watching some videos on You Tube I expected to get beaten up or something.

September 4th
    So I just took my wife to Community Hospital in Anderson to get some blood work done. On the way out, an Indiana Sheriff and a plain clothes cop were waiting at the exit. They asked me to step outside (I was on my out the door) and then the plain cop said, "Don't you know that isn't concealed?", referring to my holstered LC9 in my waistband. I said, "Yes, I carry open and concealed weapons aren't allowed at the hospital." Then I pointed towards the sticker on the door with a gun and a 'no' sign on it with the words "NO CONCEALED GUNS' written on it. They then asked for my concealed carry permit. I told them it isn't a concealed permit, it is a license to carry a handgun. I produced the permit and they discussed weather or not it should have my finger print on it. I told them it was only a few months old and that I had my prints done electronically and that my permit looks like the example on the ISP website. The sheriff then asked me for my ID. I told him I would rather not give it to him. He said I was required to. I then told him that would constitute a search and the 4th amendment says I don't have to give my ID unless they have reasonable suspicion that I committed a crime. The city cop said they had reasonable suspicion since I was carrying a gun. I asked 'of what' and then my wife told me to just give them my ID. She then took the keys to the car and left to go make an appointment in the other building. They said they had to make sure that license was mine and I told them that Indiana Code says that I only have to present my license to carry and says nothing about giving my ID. I asked if I was being detained, they said no, then Sheriff then says in a threatening manner, "I won't ask for your ID again." I asked the city cop if he was APD, he said no that he worked for Lenard (I can't find this city or county) and I asked him if he was even in his jurisdiction which he replied that it doesn't matter, he has arrest powers no matter where he is. Too keep my wife happy I gave them my ID, although I was going to let them arrest me because a fiasco is the only way guys like this learn what the law really is. After they look at my ID they give both items back. I ask them both if they have a card. The Sheriff says that I don't need his card. I tell him that I want to file a complaint and he produces a card. The city cop says he doesn't have cards. I ask for his name and badge number, he rattles them off quickly and I tell him that I would like to write that down and asked if he had a pen. He said that I should have thought of that. So, I hurry to the car and find a pen and write down the info he gave me.

I call the Sheriffs office in Anderson and was told that I couldn't file a complaint about their reserve officer because he wasn't working for the department at the time. I still have no ideal who to call about the other guy since I can't find any information about a Lenord city or county. I do have his last name and badge number, assuming they are right. I went to complain to the Community security supervisor and they Sheriff came out. He sat down next to me with his form and I said, "Is your supervisor here?", he said no. I then said, "Don't you think it would be a conflict of interest for you to take this complaint?" He said, "I guess so." I asked for the supervisors name and number. I left a voice mail for him, we'll see what happens if I get a call back.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Ugh. I've been considering the idea of open carry for myself eventually as I am a single female but man, these stories about jerk cops really make me nervous.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    When I CC or OC I also carry ...

... a pocket-sized version of the Constitution, and all the amendments. Stuck right in at the 2d Amendment site is my pink, lifetime "LICENSE." My "PERMIT / PERMISSION" is the Constitution as amended. I show both of these if asked, and HAVE never been hassled when doing it this way. Indiana does NOT issue "permits" to carry a weapon, no matter whether it uses clips or speed-loaders. <===purple

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    As a fellow Anderson OC'er sorry to hear you had the issue at the hospital and little issue at the library. I carry at the library all the time without issue and have carried at the hospital on a few occasions without problem. Good job handling the asshats at the hospital.

This is why we should ALL be carrying a recording device with us at all times!

Welcome to the INGO and keep us posted! Seems to me if the Sheriff is still stating he is willing to use his ARREST POWERS he should still be under their control in some facet! Are you willing to post his name? Got a few friends up there that might be able to jerk his head out of his !#!#$ for him.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am a bit concerned about unholstering your loaded weapon in a gas station so that the LEO could coonfinger it. Does that really sound like a good idea?

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Because I don't believe reserve Sheriff Roger Baker would have given me back my LTCH and one or both of them would have arrested me and claimed I was trying to escape custody. It would be my word against theirs as to me being detained or not since I wasn't recording. The other guy is called Russell badge number 742. I've called a couple of stations in cities that sound like Lenard but they don't have a Russell with that badge number working for them.

As for the gas station, since he was being civil and actual engaged in conversation with me (and I mentioned that it sounded like a bad idea) but he said it would be fine (and gas stations have cameras) I figured it was okay. I even started to unload and safety check it and he said not to bother, he didn't want to hold it, just look at it.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I should add the 'supervisor' of security called me back from the hospital and said they didn't exactly what they should have done (I even mentioned the mistakes they made about the concealed carry permit and no concealed carry in the hospital), it is no surprise the supervisor is a cop too.

I called the law firm I subscribe to pre-pay from. I don't know if I got the new guy or what but he thinks they have lawful right to ask for my ID even if I'm not detained or for just no reason at all. I described a scenario to him where I'm walking down the side-walk (unarmed) and demanded of my ID. He said I have to provide it. I need to see about getting a different firm I guess.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    "Officer, in order for me to draw my personal protection sidearm in public... someone else has to draw theirs first... after you."

Speaking of recording devices. I just found this...
    Bluetooth Micro Digital Video Camera Plus DVR.

I keep running that phrase through my head and I can't find a way to say it that doesn't sound like I'm challenging him to a duel.

We really should organize Porcupine911 in this Indiana.

Top Bottom