• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    Was wondering what others do when stopped for a traffic violation and have a weapon in the vehicle. My question is do you inform the officer that you have a weapon or wait for them to ask?:dunno:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    You don't have to inform them unless asked. With that said in the past (been 20 years since stopped :D) I always handed them my permit along with license and registration and was always thanked for doing so.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    This has been a pretty big debate around here for along time. Some people will tell you not to let the officer know when you have a gun in the vehicle, some will even say not to tell when asked...
    I personaly hand my LTCH with my ID and say "Officer I feel that I should inform you that I do have a legal firearm with me and I do have a License to carry it".
    To each his own, but this has served me well in the past and I have never had an issue. In my experience they appreciate you letting them know and atleast for me the stop has become a more courteous one aswell.
    -In the two seperate occasions I have been handed back my LTCH immediatly, I have also never so much as shown my gun to an officer. Both times they asked where it was at, and said "ok, just leave it there for me". Both times I have ever been stopped were pretty much the same, no big thing. One officer asked what I was carrying, but thats about it.

Last edited:

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Depends on the situation......If I have my firearm openly visible on my hip then yes I will, if it is concealed well or in the center console then no I will not. No need to add more stress to the situation and/or waste more time if I'm getting pulled over for speeding. Just my personal opinion.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I absolutely 100% never inform an officer except when asked, and I also will not provide my LTCH unless asked as well.

Why? Because too many people do the "right thing" and inform the officer, and then get their right trampled on by being disarmed for "officer safety" and taken out of the vehicle, detained etc.

Why risk the hassle? 99% chance the officer won't even know you're carrying, and the business of his traffic stop most likely has nothing at all to do with the fact that you're carrying, so why even bring it up?

IMHO, that would be like going to walmart and telling the cashier that you brought a spare tire along in the back of your truck. WTF does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? It has nothing at all to do with the business at hand so there is no reason to bring it up unless asked.

:soapbox:

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Nope I will not notify in Indiana. I had bad experience when showing my LTCH. I was disarmed and weapon was out of my control, then when it was given it back to me in this order: ammo, pistol, empty magazine.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Legally, you are not required to inform the officer of any weapons in the car (knives, long guns, or legally-carried handguns). I haven't been pulled over in YEARS, so can only imagine what I would do. I suspect I would keep my mouth shut and comply with any (legal) requests (license, registration, and LTCH if requested). I would also answer truthfully if asked about weapons (no sense in lying).

While we only hear about the "bad" cases, most traffic stops are a non-event.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    As you can already tell, this is a debated issue. Just keep in mind, neither you nor the officer wants any "surprises."

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Ditto.

And for a while there I had a rash of getting stopped for ridiculous BS.

In my youth, if I got stopped, it was going to be a ticket. No matter what.

The last three stops, I handed my LTCH over with the license, was civil and didn't try to BS the officer. All three times I got a warning. ISP, Carmel police, and even the Oklahoma State Patrol. It was uncanny.

Funny how ever since I got rid of that truck, the traffic stops ceased.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I got stopped this summer on 465 by ISP. With the Trooper on his way to my vehicle, I was deciding if I should tell him. Well, when I opened up my billfold, my LTCH was somewhat exposed ( mainly the color ) so I knew that I better fess up. When I told him, he asked where it was located, & he said just leave it there. The stop went well except I still got a ticket for speeding. I will probably inform the officer's from now on. I wonder if younger officers are more inclined to give a person BS ?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As you can already tell, this is a debated issue. Just keep in mind, neither you nor the officer wants any "surprises."
    Exactly my point from my earlier post. If the gun stays put, then it's not surprising to him at all because he didn't even know about it. But when you spring it on him that you're carrying, some take it quite surprising, and they surprisingly overreact as well. ;):D

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I inform is asked or if I don't have my wallet ready when they get there as I carry my wallet and firearm on the same side. I'd hate for there to be any confusion as to which one I'm reaching for. Which is probably why I always pull my wallet out before the officer gets to the window.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I inform is asked or if I don't have my wallet ready when they get there as I carry my wallet and firearm on the same side. I'd hate for there to be any confusion as to which one I'm reaching for. Which is probably why I always pull my wallet out before the officer gets to the window.

I usually gather everything, which is why I got a no seatbelt ticket tacked on (even though I had removed it after i was pulled over to get my registration).

NOT COOL!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I will probably inform the officer's from now on. I wonder if younger officers are more inclined to give a person BS ?
    The last officer I delt with was a younger (mid-late 20's) Bremen officer and he was cool as could be. I was pretty glad that the older officer stayed back at his car myself, he didn't look as nice.
    Young officer, young person, both armed, no problems.;)

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    As officer is pulling me over:
    1) Signal to the right and slow down as traffic permits
    2) Pull over to a safe location as traffic permits

As officer has me pulled over and is in car:
    3) Activate hazard lights
    4) Drop windows (tinted)
    5) If dark, put on dome light
    6) Both hands on the wheel

As officer comes to window:
    7) Be polite and cordial
    8) Make no sudden movements without first notifying officer
    9) When officer asks for info, inform the officer that I have a legal and licensed firearm on my person and inform him where it is.
    10) Ask for further instruction on how to proceed from the officer
    11) When directed, obtain license, registration and proof of insurance but tell officer where these items are located and that I will be retrieving them

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

4) Drop windows (tinted)

7) Be polite and cordial
    9) When officer asks for info, inform the officer that I have a legal and licensed firearm on my person and inform him where it is.
    11) When directed, obtain license, registration and proof of insurance but tell officer where these items are located and that I will be retrieving them

12) Have gun confiscated
    12) Get cuffed for "officer safety"

:D

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

4) Drop windows (tinted)

7) Be polite and cordial

^^^ :yesway: :rockwoot::yesway:^^^

I have done the same thing when I have been pulled over and had no issues. I have never badged another officer on a traffic stop and with showing a little respect (was both ways) & admitting to my errors I have avoided tickets. Then again I know how it is being at the window looking in and have always kept that in mind.

Top Bottom