• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wp wrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Just wondered if anyone here carries on a motorcycle. Do a lot of long distance riding (500-1000 miles per day) and was trying to get ideas for comfortable, safe ways to carry in this situation.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I ride every day. I usually carry IWB S&W MP 40c with no problems. Sometimes OC with M9 in a Glaco Paddle Holster but I always make sure retention screws are tight. Thinking about getting a sleave for a Shotgun...works best on Zombies :D

I do need more practise drawing and shooting while riding. Being right handed makes it a little hard but thank god for cruise control.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    That really depends on the bike!

Honestly, though, if you're riding that far, OC would be far more comfortable.. otherwise a shoulder holster would be about the best bet in general, though you could use waist-position holsters of various types depending on your vertical angle on the bike (obviously appendix-carry wouldn't go so well on a sport bike, for example..)

wp wrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    That really depends on the bike!

Honestly, though, if you're riding that far, OC would be far more comfortable.. otherwise a shoulder holster would be about the best bet in general, though you could use waist-position holsters of various types depending on your vertical angle on the bike (obviously appendix-carry wouldn't go so well on a sport bike, for example..)

I was thinking about some kind of shoulder holster. I've never had one. Bikes are cruiser style; no sport bikes. Way too old for that sh*t. :) I should probably add I'm more of a wheelgun guy. SP-101/S&W 642

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I dunno, I have a gentleman that is well into his sixties shop with me at work, and he rides an 1100 sport bike..

They're not my style, though..

I'm thinking that if it's to be concealed, a shoulder holster is the way to go. I'd want one with a retention strap or something, but the majority of your options will have those..

wp wrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    I dunno, I have a gentleman that is well into his sixties shop with me at work, and he rides an 1100 sport bike..

They're not my style, though..

I'm thinking that if it's to be concealed, a shoulder holster is the way to go. I'd want one with a retention strap or something, but the majority of your options will have those..

Thank you for your reply and that gentleman has my utmost respect. I'm in my early 60's and he's a better man than I:yesway: Of course it also depends on distance ridden. I imagine I could put a few miles on one without them having to peel me off.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Most of the guys my age are riding sport bikes, but it's just not my thing. I could probably do it, sure, but I'd rather be on a nice standard upright bike..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I rode my XT600 all year. It's a dual sport bike, so I mainly sit upright. Always carrying 5" 1911 IWB and double mag carrier. Most of the time I prefer to carry with just a large T shirt covering.

I believe a good gun belt and holster make all the difference for comfort and retention.

I do need more practice drawing and shooting while riding.
    I haven't got that figured out quite yet either.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    When I rode a lot I had three different ways to carry.

1) For long distance riding I modified a magnetic tank bag to accept a velcro backed holster. I found that this made the gun accessible with both hands if needed and gave me great comfort.

2) Around town riding during a warm day, I used an OWB holster and kept the gun covered with a shirt. (I also used method #1 quite a bit too.)

3) Evening riding or looking for a street race, I used a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig.

But for the most part, method #1 worked the best IMHO.

Craig

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I wish I was tall enough to ride an XT600!! In the motorcycle world I'm kinda on the short side (30'' inseam) so finding a non-chopper that's my style isn't easy..

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I mounted a M60 on the handle bars of my Custom Harley 1200, It kind of shook the front end but it's pretty stable now. I had to load my saddle bags with some extra ammo to stabilize it. Trying to dig up the pics now

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I knew one of yea would call me out....now where is that foot locker

:dunno:

image_12.jpg

:patriot:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not only do I carry a handgun on my person at all times, I travel all over the midwest for highpower matches with a AR15 match or service rifle and all my gear on my 1999 Harley Classic. Not a big deal..

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Im fat so when in riding position on my bike a typical belt holster tends to jab me in the side all day. I most often carry a snubbie and put it either in an ankle holster or the inside pocket of my vest.

Top Bottom