Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just curious, but wouldn't pepper spray be the better way to go?

Depends. with a handheld stun gun, you dont have to worry about being downwind of your assailant and getting a dose of your spray. But Pepper spray you dont have to be within arms reach. I guess its a trade-off. :dunno:

Falconpuch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    NW Laf
    When I used to work at JJ's we had a few drivers carry them and they will stun! Seeing that mighty blue light and sound was scary :p. They paid 20 to 40 for theirs. It looks very similar to the one you linked. It will do great.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The product in question is not a Taser. It's a "stun gun," which is substantially different.

Tasers work really well on most people and they are expensive. When the current is flowing, they make most of your skeletal muscles contract at the same time, which essentially cramps all of the muscles you use for movement. Very few people can resist them effectively without doing something to interrupt the current.

Stun guns are pain compliance devices. I would not expect them to effectively incapacitate a motivated attacker. I've been hit with them and the sensation ranges from "meh" to what I would describe as a bee sting/burning pinching sensation. If you're standing around testing them it can be unpleasant, but it won't stop most people.

My most recent "demonstration" was in a friend's gun shop last year. I saw a couple looking at some for sale and talking about how devastating they would be on an attacker based on what they had seen on television and in movies. It was none of my business, but I butted in and tried to tell them that stun guns don't really work the way you see in movies. They didn't believe me and were a bit derisive about it, which I suppose I deserved since I butted-in. Anyway, I took it out of the package and used it on my arm. They dismissed that because it was through clothing. So I did it on my bare neck and then they believed me. It pinched, but that's about it. In fact, it hurts worse through the sleeve of a thin shirt than it does on bare skin sometimes, but that's not a big deal.

Anyway ... they might deter someone who is not really intent on harming you, but that's about it. I would not encourage or enable anyone I loved to carry a stun gun for defensive purposes. Taser? Yeah, probably. Stun gun, no.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The product in question is not a Taser. It's a "stun gun," which is substantially different.

Tasers work really well on most people and they are expensive. When the current is flowing, they make most of your skeletal muscles contract at the same time, which essentially cramps all of the muscles you use for movement. Very few people can resist them effectively without doing something to interrupt the current.

Stun guns are pain compliance devices. I would not expect them to effectively incapacitate a motivated attacker. I've been hit with them and the sensation ranges from "meh" to what I would describe as a bee sting/burning pinching sensation. If you're standing around testing them it can be unpleasant, but it won't stop most people.

My most recent "demonstration" was in a friend's gun shop last year. I saw a couple looking at some for sale and talking about how devastating they would be on an attacker based on what they had seen on television and in movies. It was none of my business, but I butted in and tried to tell them that stun guns don't really work the way you see in movies. They didn't believe me and were a bit derisive about it, which I suppose I deserved since I butted-in. Anyway, I took it out of the package and used it on my arm. They dismissed that because it was through clothing. So I did it on my bare neck and then they believed me. It pinched, but that's about it. In fact, it hurts worse through the sleeve of a thin shirt than it does on bare skin sometimes, but that's not a big deal.

Anyway ... they might deter someone who is not really intent on harming you, but that's about it. I would not encourage or enable anyone I loved to carry a stun gun for defensive purposes. Taser? Yeah, probably. Stun gun, no.

Any suggestions for a non/less-conspicuous stun gun she can carry on campus?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Any suggestions for a non/less-conspicuous stun gun she can carry on campus?

I believe he's stating that the stun-guns aren't very effective.

Tasers, on the other hand, are very effective for as long as the voltage is being applied. Tasers actually "shoot" barbed electrodes that attach to the skin of the person being "tased". Some states (indiana for example) require a LTCH to carry a Taser.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I believe he's stating that the stun-guns aren't very effective.

Tasers, on the other hand, are very effective for as long as the voltage is being applied. Tasers actually "shoot" barbed electrodes that attach to the skin of the person being "tased". Some states (indiana for example) require a LTCH to carry a Taser.

This ^^

She could get a Taser C2? Unless it's classified as a firearm where she is, in that case it might not be legal on campus or would require a permit/licence to carry.

They run longer than the ones used by the police, but have a shorter range.
    30 seconds I believe (how long the person is getting tased, not the battery life).
    During that time you can drop the Taser and run away.
    Taser can then replace your taser that you left behind if you provide a police report.

080104-taser-bcol2p.grid-6x2.jpg

taser-c2-3-519.png

Taser is the way to go if you want something electric.
    A stun gun is not going to stop an attacker.Just **** them off and make them more angry.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I meant a taser... Any suggestions? I don't want her walking around with something she has to retrieve from a bag. That is what I like about the flashlight.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I meant a taser... Any suggestions? I don't want her walking around with something she has to retrieve from a bag. That is what I like about the flashlight.

This is the daughter going to Rose-Hulman correct?

Applicable Indiana code:
    Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    IC 35-47-8
    Chapter 8. Regulation of Electronic Stun Weapons, Tasers, and Stun Guns

IC 35-47-8-1
    "Electronic stun weapon" defined
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "electronic stun weapon" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that exceeds the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.
    IC 35-47-8-2
    "Stun gun" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "stun gun" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that equals or does not exceed the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and

IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and

IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.

(note even "stun-gun" type weapons over a certain power require a LTCH)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

You can get holsters for anything, taser, stun gun, or even pepper spray. :dunno:

$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPzEBRo8IrFD0g~~60_35.JPG

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is the daughter going to Rose-Hulman correct?

Applicable Indiana code:

(note even "stun-gun" type weapons over a certain power require a LTCH)

Yeah, Rose-Hulman. Thanks for the IC. Any suggestions on a good device?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is the only one I would consider: Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2? CEW

A flashlight with a stun gun may be less obtrusive, but you can't get something for nothing. It's probably not going to work for anything beyond discouraging a drunken frat boy who gets a little fresh, but doesn't really want to hurt anyone.

I'm not familiar with the Taser branded flashlight. If it's a "stun gun" like all the others, it would be better just to get a good light. On the other hand, if it functions like the "drive mode" on the police-only versions of the Taser, then it's going to be effective on most people as long as you can maintain contact. That's not an easy thing to do with a non-compliant person, which is why some trainers recommend using the probes on a Taser all the time instead of drive mode even at contact distance.

Top Bottom