• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last week while with my son and father I was walking into BP. There's usually a greeter at the front who lets you know if there are sales or specials. This day I was OCing my G17 in a Serpa for all to see.

The young gentleman at the door says all weapons are checked in or covered. No exceptions.

I replied that was contrary to previous visits. Was it a new policy?

He stated that was how it has always been since he had worked for the company. Now that could have been for years or minutes but I drew my line in the sand there and then. I asked if law enforcement had to cover and he replied of course not.

That's when I politely asked to speak with management.

He walked away and quickly came back saying it would be alright for this visit and the manager was on a conference call. So we went in and did our shopping. As we walked to the register I stated I wanted to speak with a manager.

I may as well have asked for an audience with the pope.

5 other people running interference for him tried to "help me with my issue". I said I wanted the manager only. I introduced myself and told him about INGO and that BP was not on our list of places that didn't allow carrying of sidearms and how distuebed our members would be to learn of this new policy.

The manager said the greeter was mistaken and would be taught that this is not the company's policy whatsoever. Please carry as I see fit as ling as its legal and safe. BP is very pro-2A. He said to contact him personally if I had any other concerns.

My father was under the impression the greeter was enforcing some personal agenda and I can't disagree. All's well that ends well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In my experience "young gentlemen" only have one agenda and it has nothing to do with guns. He was probably just stupid.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I believe I saw a letter from Bass Pro corporate several months ago on this website, which explicitly stated that carrying firearms in their stores was fine. I may still have it will look. Don't remember right now if it distinguished between OC and CC. I am assuming it was about OC, or there would have been no point to it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I found it, it's a pdf so I will try to convert it to jpg and post it here.

Here are the words specifically stating its OK - the employee is simply wrong:

Customers that are legally carrying a concealed firearm or legally open carrying a firearm
    are not required check their firearm with the Greeter. Also, Law Enforcement and
    Armored Car Personnel are not required to check their firearm.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    BassProPolicy_Page_1_zps2c03ebae.jpg

BassProPolicy_Page_2_zps9faea076.jpg

BassProPolicy_Page_3_zpsab1e9753.jpg

BassProPolicy_Page_4_zps2ff91554.jpg

BassProPolicy_Page_5_zps88c64727.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I had the same issue about four weeks ago with the greeter any older gentleman at Bass Pro in Portage so this is not the first time and probably not the last unfortunately. I asked to speak with the manager they sent two different people. I was finally able to talk to the manager after educate him about Indiana law he set me on my merry way. PLUS ONE for you for standing up for your rights and educate him.

NetworkNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Storage Room B
    Yeah, that sucks. My wife and I regularly OC in there at least 3 times a month....along with our gaggle of kids in tow. Never ever have had an issue, a sideways glance, nothing.

Top Bottom