• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let's say that you have your average 3-lane interstate-type road. Limited access... Bearing a striking resemblance to I-465 around much of Indianapolis.

This is how I see it:

Middle lane = general cruising lane

Right lane = slow lane / enter / exit lane

Left land = passing lane

Others have said:

Right lane = slow lane

Middle lane = faster lane

Right lane = fastest lane

Discuss.

-J-

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    IC 9-21-8-2
    Roadways; use of right half; exceptions; traveling at reduced speeds
    Sec. 2. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing overtaking and passing.
    (2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.
    (3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable to a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes.
    (4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
    (b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
    (1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic; or
    (2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway;
    except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Let's say that you have your average 3-lane interstate-type road. Limited access... Bearing a striking resemblance to I-465 around much of Indianapolis.

This is how I see it:

Middle lane = general cruising lane

Right lane = slow lane / enter / exit lane

Left land = passing lane

Others have said:

Right lane = slow lane

Middle lane = faster lane

Right lane = fastest lane

Discuss.

-J-
    This

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    "Middle lane = cruising lane" is shown in studies to be the case in general, as people feel safer in the middle lane. I'd prefer people cruise in the right lane, but whatever.
    Another question, my gf says it's illegal to pass someone on the right (say, on a three lane freeway passing someone cruising in the middle lane). I say BS. Thoughts?

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    We were coming back from a celebration for my wife's brother who just returned from USMC basic and there was a car in front of us maybe 1/4 mile ahead. The car was weaving so bad. As I approached I kept my left foot (I know left foot stays away) right above the brake. As we passed I saw that it was indeed a man who was reading an instruction booklet. It looked like it could have been for a cell phone, you know the ones that are typed so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them. Anyway, we passed, he saw us and he kept right on reading and in his right hand he was playing with his new phone.

I personally have more anger issues with this kind of driving that when people cut me off while on my bike. Because I realize that when I'm on the bike, I'm a smaller target.

Anyway, yes, Left Lane - Go fast, Center Lane - Cruise and Right Lane - Slow driver looking for an exit or something similar.

I wished, honestly, that every person who drives and texts/talks on a cell phone would get a ticket.

I get a call on my cell, I answer tell whoever it is to hold on and I pull over and stop...every time. I don't want to be a hypocrit

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Three Lanes:
    Right is for local traffic (merging and exiting)
    Center is for through traffic
    Left is for passing

2 Lanes:
    Right for cruising
    Left for passing

At least, that's how I treat it. I *will* pass on the right (using the center or right lane) if the others are blocked with slower traffic. Most folks don't understand the "flash to pass" rule, so I just go around them.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Three Lanes:
    Right is for local traffic (merging and exiting)
    Center is for through traffic
    Left is for passing

2 Lanes:
    Right for cruising
    Left for passing

At least, that's how I treat it. I *will* pass on the right (using the center or right lane) if the others are blocked with slower traffic. Most folks don't understand the "flash to pass" rule, so I just go around them.

EXACTLY!!!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In some cases I think the death penalty should be applied to slow drivers in the left lane.

If you don't know where you are or where you are going the left lane is not the place to find yourself.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'll be honest, and I won't say that I always drive the speed limit. But I drive the speed limit about 95% of the time. If I'm driving on I-69, I'll be going 70 mph and I'll be in the right hand lane. I'll get over into the left for a number of reasons:

1) There's a car broken down off the side of the road, and I'm giving them some space.

2) A vehicle is merging onto the interstate from an on-ramp.

3) I'm passing a slower moving vehicle, like a semi.

On each of these occasions, I'll still be driving 70 mph. Just because I've moved over into the "fast" lane doesn't mean that I'm going to exceed the speed limit. That said, as soon as I can I'll get back over. But until I can, don't be tailgating me, honking your horn, and flipping me off just because I'm driving the speed limit (and that's not directed at anyone in particular, it's just a general comment).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I'll still be driving 70 mph. Just because I've moved over into the "fast" lane doesn't mean that I'm going to exceed the speed limit. That said, as soon as I can I'll get back over...

So you will continue this activity, with traffic behind you, for how many miles?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    So you will continue this activity, with traffic behind you, for how many miles?

As per my previous post, as soon as I can get over, I'll get over. If people want to speed, that's their decision, but if I have a line of speeders behind be they aren't going to change my decision not to speed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As per my previous post, as soon as I can get over, I'll get over. If people want to speed, that's their decision, but if I have a line of speeders behind be they aren't going to change my decision not to speed.

So, if the car beside you is also driving the speed limit, you will continue on side by side for countless miles?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    So, if the car beside you is also driving the speed limit, you will continue on side by side for countless miles?

No, in that case I can slow down and move back over. But that example doesn't really fit my situations. I'm moving over to the left in order to avoid a potential hazard on the right. When the hazard is gone, I'll move back over.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Left = Fast
    Middle = through lane
    Right = everyone else

Middle lane does not give you the excuse to run 5 mph below the speed limit. seen that in way to many cities.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Another question, my gf says it's illegal to pass someone on the right (say, on a three lane freeway passing someone cruising in the middle lane). I say BS. Thoughts?

Buy her a dinner and apologize because if memory is correct, passing on the right is a violation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never understood road rage. Of all the things that I could be angry about in this world, traffic is far, far down on the list.

I guess you've never been stuck in a rolling roadblock behind someone totally oblivious to the ten or fifteen cars behind them, wanting to get by.

Top Bottom