• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I finally made some peanut butter squares today! When I was in grade school, these were the must-have lunch item. If you weren't one of the first few in line, you weren't getting them. Well, 20 years ago, my mom asked the lunch lady for the recipe and it's been sitting in storage all this time. I had no idea it even existed!

If you've ever had a buckeye, they're very similar, although these are MUCH better. :thumbsup:

2j1387o.jpg

2929miv.jpg

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Oh heck yeah, I remember those myself! I loved them back in the day! Recipe please? I don't wanna have to get out the cookbooks here and search for it. lol.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ugh... I'm still recovering from eating them. Sugar does not do well with me... heheheh but they were SOOOOO good. I think it's been about 2 hours now and I'm just now feeling a little better.. I'll do it all again tomorrow. hehehehe These are SOOOOO good. Did I mention that?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    OMG, these are my FAVORITE dessert ever.

My mom used to make these...

My sister has to bring a batch when she visits from Colorado... if not, no walkie into housie.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Three year necropost!

Just made a brand new pan and forgot why I hardly ever make these, in spite of how delicious they are. It is a colossal pain in the butt, even with a stand mixer. It took me a little over an hour for one freaking pan. :xmad:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I love those things too. We add butterscotch chips to the chocolate for the topping. MMMmmmm.....

I don't make them often as they are pure sugar. But gosh, tasty.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Three year necropost!

Just made a brand new pan and forgot why I hardly ever make these, in spite of how delicious they are. It is a colossal pain in the butt, even with a stand mixer. It took me a little over an hour for one freaking pan. :xmad:

Anything with peanut butter in it has to be good.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter01's Super Awesome Peanut Butter Squares

2j1387o.jpg

Total prep time, not including refrigeration: 45-60 minutes.

Ingredients
    1 ½ Lbs. Creamy Peanut Butter
    1 Cup Butter -- melted
    1 Cup Light Brown sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    5 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)

Topping
    3 Cups chocolate chips (Semi-sweet or Milk, or a little of both)
    6 Tbs Butter

For a thicker chocolate top, use 4 cups of chips and 8 Tbs of butter. 3 is really plenty, though.

Directions
    In a stand mixer, combine peanut butter and 1 cup melted butter thoroughly. Add in brown sugar and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Mix in powdered sugar about a cup at a time. Mixture will become extremely thick so use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer on the lowest speed. Start with the paddle. By the 3rd or 4th cup of powdered sugar, you’ll need to switch to the dough hook. You can't really over-mix, so let it run while you start working on the topping (below). You'll have to scrape the bowl a few times while it's mixing. If you don't have a stand mixer, well...you're gonna be in for a bad time. An electric beater won't work, so you'll have to do it by hand. I hope you have some Icy Hot in the medicine cabinet. :):

Spread mixture evenly into a 11x 17 jelly roll type pan with a spatula. Don't worry, it will spread reasonably well even though it's pretty thick.

Topping
    Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler on medium-low heat. Once thoroughly combined, spread evenly over peanut butter mix with a spatula. This part's kind of a pain. The butter will help smooth the chocolate, which will help it spread, but it's a little hard to spread without disturbing the peanut butter. If you pre-chill the peanut butter mixture, the chocolate cools too fast to spread. It takes a little patience. Only take a little chocolate out of the double boiler at a time. Smooth with a flat spatula as much as you can. When you chill it, the chocolate will flatten and smooth a little more on its own, as you can see in the photo.

Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours for ease of cutting into squares.
    Serve Cold. Also can be frozen if desired. These squares become very gooey when left at room temperature.

2929miv.jpg

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Scutter01's Super Awesome Peanut Butter Squares

2j1387o.jpg

Total prep time, not including refrigeration: 45-60 minutes.

Ingredients
    1 ½ Lbs. Creamy Peanut Butter
    1 Cup Butter -- melted
    1 Cup Light Brown sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    5 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)

Topping
    3 Cups chocolate chips (Semi-sweet or Milk, or a little of both)
    6 Tbs Butter

For a thicker chocolate top, use 4 cups of chips and 8 Tbs of butter. 3 is really plenty, though.

Directions
    In a stand mixer, combine peanut butter and 1 cup melted butter thoroughly. Add in brown sugar and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Mix in powdered sugar about a cup at a time. Mixture will become extremely thick so use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer on the lowest speed. Start with the paddle. By the 3rd or 4th cup of powdered sugar, you’ll need to switch to the dough hook. You can't really over-mix, so let it run while you start working on the topping (below). You'll have to scrape the bowl a few times while it's mixing. If you don't have a stand mixer, well...you're gonna be in for a bad time. An electric beater won't work, so you'll have to do it by hand. I hope you have some Icy Hot in the medicine cabinet. :):

Spread mixture evenly into a 11x 17 jelly roll type pan with a spatula. Don't worry, it will spread reasonably well even though it's pretty thick.

Topping
    Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler on medium-low heat. Once thoroughly combined, spread evenly over peanut butter mix with a spatula. This part's kind of a pain. The butter will help smooth the chocolate, which will help it spread, but it's a little hard to spread without disturbing the peanut butter. If you pre-chill the peanut butter mixture, the chocolate cools too fast to spread. It takes a little patience. Only take a little chocolate out of the double boiler at a time. Smooth with a flat spatula as much as you can. When you chill it, the chocolate will flatten and smooth a little more on its own, as you can see in the photo.

Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours for ease of cutting into squares.
    Serve Cold. Also can be frozen if desired. These squares become very gooey when left at room temperature.

2929miv.jpg

Thanks. Now I have to scrape snow off the car and brave the weather for fat kid treats. :xmad:

Top Bottom