• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hey all!

I've been limping along with my humble little Olympus 3.2MP camera for years now, and would like to upgrade. My primary use would be taking fairly close-range pics of gear, people and events for web publication.

My Mom has a Nikon D40 DSLR that takes awesome photos, but I'm not prepared to spend $600+ and don't have the time/patience/desire to become a real shutterbug. What I'm looking for is a point-and-shoot that has a good zoom and some capabilities beyond the stone age camera I've got now.

Does anyone have experience with these particular models:

Newegg.com - FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1500 Black 10.0 MP 2.7" 230K LCD 12X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

Customer Reviews Of Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Black 12.1 MP 2.5" 230K Vari-Angle LCD 20X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera

Newegg.com - Kodak EasyShare Z950 Black 12.0 MP 3.0" 230K LCD 10X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

Newegg.com - Canon PowerShot SX200 IS Red 12.1 MP 3.0" 230K LCD 12X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera

Or other suggestions?

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    I have a kodak z650 sevral years old. It is similar to the kodak posted above. I has been flawless for me. I have taken numerous picture from long range and close up with it and they have came out flawless. I will post some that I have taken later this evening.

Btw...the one I have is only 6mp. But it has a decent zoom on it. 10x or somethin like that.

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Can't go wrong with Nikon, we had a powershot as well and the Nikon stands alone. Even the cheaper Nikon models seem to be better than the competition.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I am a die hard Canon fan. I've got a Canon Rebel SLR, I had an older SD series, and now I have and SD 880is. I've had zero complaints, take great pictures, and will be a loyal customer for a long timel.

I recommend the SD series because they are affordable and small enough to throw in a pocket. What good is a camera if you never have it on you, kind of like a gun. You want the smallest, lightest option for daily carry that will still affectively get the job done.

I like this one because it has 3" display and you can see the picture quality better in the previews, so you know to take another if it sucks.
    Newegg.com - Canon PowerShot SD970 IS Silver 12.1 MP 3.0" 461K LCD 5X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

This one is a bit smaller and lighter and a smaller lcd, but still will take great pics and has plenty of features.
    Newegg.com - Canon PowerShot SD940 IS Black 12.1 MP 2.7" 230K LCD 4X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I'm in the same situation. I really dislike the camera I've had for years, but I'm not sure which direction to go. What I've found is that lots of digital cameras take great pictures in perfect light. What most don't do well is taking indoor pictures or working with challenging lighting situations. My camera's flash is WAY underpowered, and so it takes crappy pix inside at any distance greater than 7 or 8 feet.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As far as buying goes, Black Friday can get you some really awesome deals on digital cameras.

If you're into that. (oh come on, you know you want to get up at 4 in the morning the day after TG, and go out into the masses of shoppers).

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I'm still lovin my Canon SX10. Even more with the Chdk hack on the card. I'd advise going with a Canon if you like tinkering just because of the Chdk. As for using at shoots I've only used it indoors. The zoom definitely helps find your shots without having to walk to the target. One Chdk hack I still have to try at the range is the lightning hack. Supposedly it pics up light change and snaps a pic quicker than I could, might get some good muzzle flash pics.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Fuji cameras are "last-year's" Olympus models, and the prices are really nice. I have a 5.2mp Fuji that's about two years old and takes excellent photos. My camera before that was another Fuji. They are just easier to use IMO than other brands.

It's not a Nikon D-series

I've always found the other Nikons (non-SLR) to be hard to use.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I went through "several" digital cameras before finally finding the Nikon Coolpix L100. I love this camera!! It has a 3" screen, 10 megapixels and 15X wide Zoom and all for around $220. Well under valued. Very easy to use and produces some awesome pics. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Good luck

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I see you have posted choices of 2 large and 2 small cameras. I have a larger Olympus camera and am looking to buy a smaller one just because it is easier to lug around when you take pics on a trip somewhere. The Olympus takes good pictures.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm a Canon guy.

Personally I would stick with either a Canon or a Nikon.

With the digital point-and-shoots (the ones you listed), you will get good shots in daylight conditions, but iffy shots in darker conditions or at night. They have tiny sensors on them and they generate a lot of picture "noise" in low light conditions. One of the advantages of DSLRs is that they have much larger sensors and therefore better light capturing.

My choice would be the Canon SX 200. The digic 4 processor is the cat's meow right. It's basically the processing brain of the camera and ultimately is responsible for image quality. The new DSLR I'm about to get (to go with my Canon 5D) a Canon 7D, uses this new processor.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I have the new Consumer Reports magazine with some of these cameras rated. Based on the models you've posted, this is the best rated camera for what you're looking for: Canon Powershot SX10 IS Digital Camera Battery life has been tested at 600 pictures.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 is considered the "best buy" with 290 pictures battery life, and the best performance for the money: Sony - Cyber-shot 10.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - DSC-H20/B

The Fujifilm you posted is just under the Cyber-shot, and everything else is above it. Some models you posted weren't tested, but similar model numbers did well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I just bought my wife this camera. Sony - Cyber-shot 10.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Dark Gray - DSCTX1/H it is very small and sleek and takes great pictures compared to our old canon powershot a620. a couple of the nice features I like is the panoramic pictures as you just start at one side press the button then just sweep the camera and it automatically does it for you. and also it has a burst mode where you can take 10 frames per second which is nice for taking shooting pics and being able to get the perfect shot.:twocents:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As far as buying goes, Black Friday can get you some really awesome deals on digital cameras.

If you're into that. (oh come on, you know you want to get up at 4 in the morning the day after TG, and go out into the masses of shoppers).

Whats this waking up at 4 in the morning that you speak of? Last year for Black Friday I had been in line for about 3 or 4 hours at that time. And I wasn't the first person there, I was I think 3rd. But it wasn't a bad crowd, we (my wife and I) went to office depot (or max one of the two) got a great deal on a laptop and printer, and some ram and a few other things like a wireless mouse for under $5. I actually had a pretty good time, now stopping at toys r us afterward because my wife wanted to? :n00b: That was a madhouse.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    GET AN OLYMPUS SW SERIES. THEY ARE WATERPROOF,SHOCKPROOF,FREEZEPROOF, AND DUSTPROOF.
    I got one and love it.
    look them up i think you will like them

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Here are some pix i have take out of my 6mp kodak z650. The 10x zoom makes a big difference. Try and stay away from the small thin cameras if you want a good zooming distance.

100B2091.jpg

100B8300.jpg

100B1300.jpg

100_1240.jpg

100B4612.jpg

100_1606.jpg

101_0333.jpg

b7c15443c50f5f26f7aa59bd3e263fefad71396.JPG

e61359f34afcc5c30d8b5e3724b81cabd76a36b.JPG

d8f1594ecf015c262c35cbdcc591708cd5e7970.JPG

77135ffc4a6ecca70079511a2866da0ac498d96.JPG

a3b356b04312c30d01ce55d72e018da41c8447b.JPG

Last pic...the secret service from 100 or more yrds away.

f8d25d8444c8c0315942afd04081ed4af6886d8.JPG

I have a lot more i could have posted but im lazy....hope these help you to make your decision. A z980 or z915 is what i will be looking into getting soon. The z980 has a 24x zoom... :woot: :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just a little thread necromancy here, because so many "help me choose" type threads die without the OP coming back and posting the conclusion, and I didn't want to be "that guy." :D

Well, thanks to your feedback here and to some additional research, I decided to go with the Nikon P90. Ordered the camera and an "accessory pack" (spare battery, 8GB memory card, tabletop tripod, and camera bag) from Amazon.com for $364 and change, delivered. Should be here late this week or early next. Can't wait!

5125yRlUnuL._SS400_.jpg

51jPP8vC95L._SS400_.jpg

Kit includes:
    ♦ 1) Nikon Coolpix P90 Digital Camera
    ♦ 2) Transcend 8GB High-Capacity SecureDigital (SDHC) Card
    ♦ 3) Spare EN-EL5 Battery Pack
    ♦ 4) Precision Design PD-C10 Deluxe Padded Carrying Case
    ♦ 5) Precision Design USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital (SD/SDHC) Card Reader
    ♦ 6) Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet
    ♦ 7) Precision Design Flexible Tabletop Mini Tripod
    ♦ 8) Image Recall Digital Image Recovery Software
    ♦ 9) Microfiber Cleaning Cloth

The Coolpix P90 has an immensely powerful 24x optical zoom that offers the 35mm-equivalent of a 26mm wide-angle to a 624mm telephoto and is capable of shooting pictures as close up as 1cm. High-speed continuous shooting up to 45 shots at 15 fps means it is an ideal camera for sports photography and can even record images before you've pressed the button. Add to this its 12.1 effective megapixels and sensitivity up to ISO 6400, and it is clear why it excels in almost any shooting situation. Users can set it to full automatic or various manual settings using the camera's four exposure modes (PSAM) and compose their ideal picture using the electronic viewfinder.

The camera offers many other Nikon-quality features such as four Anti-blur technologies, Auto Scene and Face Priority AF, recognizing up to twelve faces. It also includes the latest features, such as Smile Mode and Blink Warning, Nikon's proprietary D-Lighting for optimizing contrast and Quick Retouch. The camera can also record movies, including time-lapse movies, and its 3-inch vari-angle LCD screen makes taking pictures easy even in challenging situations.

Take more high-resolution pictures faster with this 8GB High-Capacity SecureDigital (SDHC) memory card.

Increase your shooting capacity with this powerful EN-EL5 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery.

Top Bottom