• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Funny, but likely counter-productive. I'm sure more Iraqis got butthurt than motivated. Yelling at the leaders in front of their men was not wise either. I'm sure he felt much better afterward, however. :):

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Funny, but likely counter-productive. I'm sure more Iraqis got butthurt than motivated. Yelling at the leaders in front of their men was not wise either. I'm sure he felt much better afterward, however. :):

Maybe yes, maybe no. That kind of approach has a long and rather successful history of turning civilians into soldiers (and, when dealing with an insurgency, you police need to resemble soldiers in many respects). C.f Baron Steuben and the building of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Annie, that "man" sounded just like my muslim boss at RQAW. Muslims in general have a hard time understanding us Americans, or should I say Infidels? They have a hard time of understanding our local sayings, our sense of humer, our philosophy of life and just the rest of being human beings. They want to change us. They do not want to conform to our ways. When I say "they" I am generally speaking. I am sure there are a few good muslims somewhere.

I loved the vidio you posted for us. The cast system that most of the muslim world lives by does not and will not work in these United States.

Do I sound sour? I guess I am Annie.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Cultural differences aside, it's all about leadership. That soldier was wasting his breath on the troops. He should have gotten the leaders together by themselves and chewed on their butts. Good leaders can inspire their troops.

I've never been to Iraq, but I wonder if they will ever feel nationalism and patriotism. It seems to be a foreign concept to them. If they never feel that, they probably can't be indoctrinated to fight for a cause. It looks like this soldier was venting his frustration towards them for this very reason.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Maybe yes, maybe no. That kind of approach has a long and rather successful history of turning civilians into soldiers (and, when dealing with an insurgency, you police need to resemble soldiers in many respects). C.f Baron Steuben and the building of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.

Von Steuben was dealing with fellow Westerners.

With the Tundra, Toyota earned a much larger share of the US market. Do you think Toyota can sell Tundras with the same success rate in Japan or Korea?

But like you said, maybe yes, maybe no... :)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Von Steuben was dealing with fellow Westerners.

With the Tundra, Toyota earned a much larger share of the US market. Do you think Toyota can sell Tundras with the same success rate in Japan or Korea?

But like you said, maybe yes, maybe no... :)

One of the things you have to do to build a military (and, again, so long as there is significant insurgency going on, your police have to be as much military as police), is to create an entirely new culture in the recruits. And part of that is shoving aside what's already sitting in that part of their brains. That's a lot of what military training is about--cut off from one's original ties, put into a highly artificial situation, have all kinds of sh!t heaped on you (and everyone around you--this shared misery is actually a part of the process), all the while having to do things a certain way and getting screamed at for even the slightest errors. It's meant to break down existing cultural conditioning and instill the new conditioning necessary to function effectively in a military environment. I really think this panty-waist need to be "sensitive to the cultures" of people training for military duties. In those cases, I am less concerned about the culture the recruits come from than about the "unit culture" you're trying to build.

I used von Steuben as an example to show that it goes back to the very beginnings of US military tradition. It's also been pretty effective in training our allies around the world. The RoK Marines* are no one to mess with, nor is JSDF, neither of which is a "Western" culture.

The real question, IMO, is whether they are able to give the recruits the full treatment necessary to break old cultural conditioning and build the new "military culture" in the individuals. I suspect that will be impossible under The One's watch.

*Back when I was in the AF, one of the NCO's told stories of when he was a medic in Vietnam. He was assigned to a group of RoK marines. Well, I won't go into the whole story, but he was disturbed by some of the things they did on patrol and asked for transfer to another unit. His CO told him that he could move him to this unit over here, or that one over there. In general, they go out with 20 men, come back with 10. Go out with 20, come back with 10. He could also leave him with the RoK Marines. They go out with 10, come back with 10. Go out with 10, come back with 10. He stayed with the RoK Marines.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I don't disagree with you on what has to be done and how a police force should operate in Iraq. I just don't think that most Iraqi men would respond well to being publicly called women, cowards, and pu$$ies by a foreigner; especially when their loyalty may be questionable.

However, I was not there so my comments are nothing more than speculation. After he was done speaking, it sounded like they were still whining to get trucks.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Great video...

That kind of haranguing would motivate most red-blooded western males to sack up and fight.

Not so much with a Moslem, I suspect, as their loyalties are to their tribe and religion first.

I imagine Hajji was insulted and angered by the way he was spoken to, and probably reacted by setting up a few IEDs that night.

Did anyone notice when they were asked where their loyalties lay...many seemed to answer, "Allah..."

I thought heard that anyway....

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Great video...

That kind of haranguing would motivate most red-blooded western males to sack up and fight.

Not so much with a Moslem, I suspect, as their loyalties are to their tribe and religion first.

I imagine Hajji was insulted and angered by the way he was spoken to, and probably reacted by setting up a few IEDs that night.

Did anyone notice when they were asked where their loyalties lay...many seemed to answer, "Allah..."

I thought heard that anyway....

yeah I thought I had heard them say "allah..." also.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nah, I think they were telling him what they thought he wanted to hear by saying "Iraq"...but with their accent, it sounded phonetically like "AhDac". To us, that sounds close.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Amen. I realize it's a foriegn nation. With different loyalties, and relegion. Yet I'm sick of seeing our brave men dye, for those coward pu**ies. A close friend of mine was hit by an IED in Iraq. Untill those people pull their heads out of their a**es, and fight for their freedom. Well then it's a lost cause period. Sometime in life, you have to decide what's most important to you. Freedom, or slavery!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom