• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No, nothing has happened in the INGO classifieds, but in the internet world anything is possible, so don't get lax in guarding your money and property as you conduct business using the INGO classifieds.

Paul Webster was recently busted for fraud taking place on several gun sites, and I would assume he made some appearances on some of the larger boards our members frequent. The story I'm referencing said the state and federal agencies were not interested in the case at first, because the amount of fraud wasn't enough to warrant their involvement. Thankfully, there was another agency that took notice and helped out.

Also, the link provides some great tips to note when buying online. Most of these actually support the reasons INGO is so strict on many of the policies regarding the classifieds (especially pictures!). This is not to say some scum bag will not slip through the cracks, but if we all remain vigilant, the opportunity to scam INGO members will remain low.

Internet Scammer Paul Webster Caught! + Anti-Fraud Tips from GunsAmerica

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, that was a useless non-story. Would have been nice if it had detailed how he was defrauding people. I've never heard of the guy.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Well, that was a useless non-story. Would have been nice if it had detailed how he was defrauding people. I've never heard of the guy.

Credit card fraud, no items delivered or non-functioning items not as described in for sale ads. Bogus source of funds when purchasing, use of stolen credit card information.

People have been chasing him for several years.

Can't answer to why they aren't disclosing more information in the article.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Most of the stuff probably wouldn't apply to INGO, but I could definitely see the reason for people to know how to properly break down a gun and perform a safety check before they hand over their money. I can admit I've been guilty of not doing so.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Any time I've ever made an online deal, if I am the one sending payment first, the member has to have been around awhile and in good standing; it's just not worth it otherwise.

If I am receiving payment first, then I don't really care because I know I'm honest. :):

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Most of the stuff probably wouldn't apply to INGO, but I could definitely see the reason for people to know how to properly break down a gun and perform a safety check before they hand over their money. I can admit I've been guilty of not doing so.

I thought you'd flip if I pulled the bolt out so I looked down the wrong end to have a looksee :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Would have been nice if it had detailed how he was defrauding people.
    Some of his methods are alluded to in the comments below the article.
    Most of these actually support the reasons INGO is so strict on many of the policies regarding the classifieds (especially pictures!)
    How's that? The first few I cruised through this morning had no photos...
    One did say "look in my album", but the others never even made an attempt to show the firearm's condition anywhere.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some of his methods are alluded to in the comments below the article.

How's that? The first few I cruised through this morning had no photos...
    One did say "look in my album", but the others never even made an attempt to show the firearm's condition anywhere.

That's why we continue to ask fellow-members to HELP and report those posts. If you saw them, report them. They just may be members who screwed up and need a reminder OR it could be someone trying to scam other members. With your help, more can be done to help protect all of us.

Top Bottom