• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The video is a bit too long, probably too boring, but if you've ever wanted to drive a snowcat this is a driver's seat view of driving a snow cat. Somewhere in the middle of the video (about 5 1/2 minute mark) I get out with the camera and take some shots of the Snow Trac.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfbMG8BkBo]YouTube - Snow Trac ST4 in the fields of northern Indiana[/ame]

Mine is a 1972 Snow Trac ST4, these were used by the Royal British Commandos under the guise of the NATO forces to patrol Russian/USSR border lands along the Norwegian border.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    That is awesome !! Would like to have something like that. Perfect Bug out vehicle for Northern IN. What type of speeds does that get up to?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ummmmm, I want one.

please?

Here are some other variants of the same machine. 2 of these are owned by my friend in Wales, UK. She restores and runs them at military shows.

Militarysnowtracinthesnow2010004.jpg

Militarysnowtracinthesnow2010006.jpg

snowdec18th002.jpg

Snowtracnewroof3.jpg

scan0019.jpg

scan0018.jpg

scan0013.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Very cool Video. So are you giving rides to INGO members who happen to be in the neighborhood? :):

I've never turned anyone down who came up to me and asked for a ride while I was out driving it around. It seats 7 people; 1 driver + 6 passengers. I've even used it to help extract stuck Jeeps from places where 4x4's shouldn't have gone.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    This reminded my of this video I saw a while back.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyZ-raQseg]YouTube - Rip Saw - Tracked ATV[/ame]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That thing has win all over it. I'm curious about what kind of engine it has. Does it do well in mud?

It works well in sand, muddy bogs, etc but not in super deep water/mud. It can ford a shallow stream but the tracks need something to be in contact with so as long as there is some sort of surface, even a very soft surface, it will go through it.

The same vehicle was used in Africa in the desert and was sold as a "Sand Trac" instead of a "Snow Trac." There are several different types of metal grousers available for the tracks so they can be used on western powder snow, Sahaha sand, midwestern ice, etc.

The engine is an air cooled 4 cylinder industrial boxer engine from VW.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    It works well in sand, muddy bogs, etc but not in super deep water/mud. It can ford a shallow stream but the tracks need something to be in contact with so as long as there is some sort of surface, even a very soft surface, it will go through it.

The same vehicle was used in Africa in the desert and was sold as a "Sand Trac" instead of a "Snow Trac." There are several different types of metal grousers available for the tracks so they can be used on western powder snow, Sahaha sand, midwestern ice, etc.

The engine is an air cooled 4 cylinder industrial boxer engine from VW.

With an aircooled VW engine, that thing will run forever. :D

MD- Seriously, that is beyond cool. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom