NWI INGO: This is where I shot today and it was...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Starting this thread as an info, BRAG, you should try this, thread.

Please post up General info on ranges close or not so close by that you use and tell us of your activities.

Invite friends to recurring open events so we can all have some fun not separate together.

I hope that all of the NWI regulars will contribute often.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I took my new neighbor to Elkhart Rifle and Pistol Club to do some practice. The range is a hidden gem that most people don’t even know exist. It is a little primitive by lack of fancy electronics. You hand crank the targets in and out. It is pistol and 22 rifle only but 24/7 access is a plus.

It’s only five minutes from my house so it’s very convenient when I’m working up new loads for reloading or just some quick practice.

My neighbor just started shooting in January but he is really good. I’m glad he’s on our side.

dVH0S4l.jpg

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Yesterday 9/9 - trap at Glen Park Izaak Walton, they have three trap houses with voice activation. Shot 3 rounds best was an 18.

Today 9/10 - trap at Michigan City Rifle Club, nice place to shoot. Single trap house. Shot 3 rounds, best was 21. Trap every Thursday, starts at 6 pm.

Tomorrow 9/11 - helping out with small bore (22lr) at Michigan City Rifle Club, starts at 5:30. I'm not shooting because it would be a waste of ammo. Shooting 22s for accuracy, come on out if you have a scoped 22, usually at 50 yards, sometimes farther.

Sat 9/12 - Rimfire Challenge match at Michigan City Rifle Club, slaying steel targets as fast as you can. Still spots open. You need a .22lr pistol and rifle, semi-autos with 5 mags for each. No holsters required.

Sun. 9/13 - Steel Challenge at St. Joe Valley Rifle & Pistol in in Bristol, IN. Also speed steel, different format than Rimfire Challenge and you can shoot your PCC or any gun you have a holster for. Holster not needed for .22lr.

9/19 - Steel Challenge at North Porter County Conservation Club

Having fun and trying to challenge myself.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Awesome, thanks for the info Marvin.

I'm gunna try and start coming to some of the more local trap stuff during the week I think, and probably bringing the lady.

We're going to Deer Creek Saturday and going to take a friend of ours from the neighborhood shotgunning for the first time :)

Are any if the .22 events you listed open to the public (thinking specifically about the .22 rifle stuff at MCRC -- I've got the scope for my .22 squirrel rifle.... Just need to get the rifle now ;) )

Yesterday 9/9 - trap at Glen Park Izaak Walton, they have three trap houses with voice activation. Shot 3 rounds best was an 18.

Today 9/10 - trap at Michigan City Rifle Club, nice place to shoot. Single trap house. Shot 3 rounds, best was 21. Trap every Thursday, starts at 6 pm.

Tomorrow 9/11 - helping out with small bore (22lr) at Michigan City Rifle Club, starts at 5:30. I'm not shooting because it would be a waste of ammo. Shooting 22s for accuracy, come on out if you have a scoped 22, usually at 50 yards, sometimes farther.

Sat 9/12 - Rimfire Challenge match at Michigan City Rifle Club, slaying steel targets as fast as you can. Still spots open. You need a .22lr pistol and rifle, semi-autos with 5 mags for each. No holsters required.

Sun. 9/13 - Steel Challenge at St. Joe Valley Rifle & Pistol in in Bristol, IN. Also speed steel, different format than Rimfire Challenge and you can shoot your PCC or any gun you have a holster for. Holster not needed for .22lr.

9/19 - Steel Challenge at North Porter County Conservation Club

Having fun and trying to challenge myself.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Awesome, thanks for the info Marvin.

I'm gunna try and start coming to some of the more local trap stuff during the week I think, and probably bringing the lady.

We're going to Deer Creek Saturday and going to take a friend of ours from the neighborhood shotgunning for the first time :)

Are any if the .22 events you listed open to the public (thinking specifically about the .22 rifle stuff at MCRC -- I've got the scope for my .22 squirrel rifle.... Just need to get the rifle now ;) )

All of the events at MCRC are open to the public.

https://www.michigancityrifleclub.com/page-1757429

The CZ you had at Winimac would be just fine for the small bore.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the great posts Marv n Larc.

This is exactally what we need to get more of us to the range more often.

Now I want to get a .22 semi auto pistol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I took my new neighbor to Elkhart Rifle and Pistol Club to do some practice. The range is a hidden gem that most people don’t even know exist. It is a little primitive by lack of fancy electronics. You hand crank the targets in and out. It is pistol and 22 rifle only but 24/7 access is a plus.

It’s only five minutes from my house so it’s very convenient when I’m working up new loads for reloading or just some quick practice.

My neighbor just started shooting in January but he is really good. I’m glad he’s on our side.

I think we're technically outside of the NWI area, but there are a few of us in the greater Michiana area that have been curious about that shooting club for awhile. What's the process like to join? I looked into it awhile back and it looked like you had to have a sponsor and some other things that sounded like a barrier to entry to a guy just coming to town, which I was at the time.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As the OP, I will say that I started this to find places to shoot and people to shoot with in NWI.

But, I have no problem with other INGO members that are a bit further out to benefit from it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think we're technically outside of the NWI area, but there are a few of us in the greater Michiana area that have been curious about that shooting club for awhile. What's the process like to join? I looked into it awhile back and it looked like you had to have a sponsor and some other things that sounded like a barrier to entry to a guy just coming to town, which I was at the time.

It’s really not that hard to get it. Shoot me a PM and I’ll go to the next meeting with you.

As the OP, I will say that I started this to find places to shoot and people to shoot with in NWI.

But, I have no problem with other INGO members that are a bit further out to benefit from it.

I have been to the NWI Wininac shoot and guys from NWI have come this way to shoot. Marvin02 mentioned another range that I belong to in Bristol that’s part of the ERPC range.

I apologize if my post aren’t exactly what you were hoping for. For me around an hour is still considered doable for the right range and people.

I have even driven 3.5 hours to train with BBI and Aaron.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    It’s really not that hard to get it. Shoot me a PM and I’ll go to the next meeting with you.

I have been to the NWI Wininac shoot and guys from NWI have come this way to shoot. Marvin02 mentioned another range that I belong to in Bristol that’s part of the ERPC range.

I apologize if my post aren’t exactly what you were hoping for. For me around an hour is still considered doable for the right range and people.

I have even driven 3.5 hours to train with BBI and Aaron.

Hey 90 minutes is nothing to get to shoot.

Because I travel for work I've shot Friday Night Steel at Marion County, taken a Revere's Riders pistol class in Terre Haute and one of Coach's Intro to USPSA in Indy.

Plenty of shooting out there if you look for it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    There are a few of us following this topic. Can you give us the broad strokes publicly so 10 guys don't all have to PM you? :)

Pretty simple:
    1) Attend two consecutive monthly meeting
    2) pass a qualification test (10:10 rounds at 50 ft on a NRA bullseye target. I’m guessing 12”x14”
    3) $50 app fee that include background check and key card
    4) $125 annual dues.
    5) two sponsors (I only knew one guy there and he had his buddy sign for me as well)

I will do whatever I can to be at the next meeting if I know who’s coming so I can look them up to sponsor them.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Pretty simple:
    1) Attend two consecutive monthly meeting
    2) pass a qualification test (10:10 rounds at 50 ft on a NRA bullseye target. I’m guessing 12”x14”
    3) $50 app fee that include background check and key card
    4) $125 annual dues.
    5) two sponsors (I only knew one guy there and he had his buddy sign for me as well)

I will do whatever I can to be at the next meeting if I know who’s coming so I can look them up to sponsor them.

When are the meetings?

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    **edit I'm an idiot. There's details, but not linked via the calendar.

https://www.michigancityrifleclub.com/page-1854186

Hey Marvin --

Poked around on the MCRC site and I'm seeing the small vote is every other Thursday.

Could you talk a little bit about what those events are? You said my iron sight CZ would be fine above. Is it an informal competition? Fun shoot? Some sort of formal thing?

-L

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    **edit I'm an idiot. There's details, but not linked via the calendar.

https://www.michigancityrifleclub.com/page-1854186

Hey Marvin --

Poked around on the MCRC site and I'm seeing the small vote is every other Thursday.

Could you talk a little bit about what those events are? You said my iron sight CZ would be fine above. Is it an informal competition? Fun shoot? Some sort of formal thing?

-L

Small bore is benchrest with 22lr. Usually 50 yards. They shoot 3 rounds of 25. This is the target:

USBR50.jpg

1 point for inside or touching outer ring, 2 points for in or touching bull. 1 round per target. No time limit. The 3 targets at the top can be used as sighters.

That's the format used most nights. I think the web site needs some updating.

Small bore is 2nd and 4th Fridays.

Trap at MCRC is informal, they keep score but it's just for information. $5 for a round (25) for non-members. Trap is Thursday nights at 6 pm. I don't think they are shooting on weekends.

For public events the gates open about an hour before start time.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Shot a couple rounds of wobble trap at Deer Creek in Three Oaks this afternoon. Brought a buddy from our neighborhood shooting.

Deer Creek is a little expensive -- about 30 cents a clay for members and 40 cents for non members.

However.

There's 3 sporting clays courses, well maintained wobble trap and 5 stand, two pretty nice Gazebos and a really nice club house with a big fireplace.

For what you getbi think it's pretty reasonable. 599 Acres right across the Michigan border.

If anyone ever wants to go blow frisbees up there, holler. We go pretty much ever weekend.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Thanks Marvin -- I'll try and make it out for the next one in two weeks. I think this would be a great, structured way for me to improve my 22 rifle shooting.

Small bore is benchrest with 22lr. Usually 50 yards. They shoot 3 rounds of 25. This is the target:

View attachment 91012

1 point for inside or touching outer ring, 2 points for in or touching bull. 1 round per target. No time limit. The 3 targets at the top can be used as sighters.

That's the format used most nights. I think the web site needs some updating.

Small bore is 2nd and 4th Fridays.

Trap at MCRC is informal, they keep score but it's just for information. $5 for a round (25) for non-members. Trap is Thursday nights at 6 pm. I don't think they are shooting on weekends.

For public events the gates open about an hour before start time.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    So girl and her friend who was helping her repair her bike rode mopeds from Pilsen to NWI this weekend. Friends boyfriend and I rode breakdown car duty lol.

He and I went to Kingsbury and sighted in my squirrel rifle and then shot some 50 yard iron sight on my trainer. First time I've been to Kingsbury. Nice but pretty buttoned up, think I like Winnamac better but Kingsbury is closer for zeroing etc.

After that we met the women at Deer Creek and all 4 of us shot woblle trap for a couple hours. was busier than normal which kinda sucked but I'm glad they're getting businesses. Great weekend of shooting.

Went to Griffith Izaak Walton for trap the first time tonight with the lady, we shot 4 rounds.

Cannot reccomend it enough. Affordable, nice people, was not crowded, throwers and voice activators in good shape. Close. Great time.

Top Bottom