• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Women.... sheesh.

...now I have a Honda Pilot with a smashed in right front and a check from the insurance co.

So, do I fix it? (yeah, vague question) Or, who would buy a busted car for parts?

According the estimate, there's a lot of body work and not much besides suspension and axle; only 3 hrs. of frame work. The check is close to the street value of the car, and it's got 129K miles already (2009).

I haven't inspected the car, but there's nothing in the estimate about hood repair or replacement.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'd get rid of it if it needs to have the frame worked on. Just from my past experiences, once a car is wrecked bad enough that it needs work done to the frame, it will never be fully right again.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ....sucks all the joy out of driving and replaces it with soulless banality.
    Woah. I thought I stumbled into a Glock thread by accident.

If the title is clear, some people will be interested as a rebuilder. Little bit of frame damage is no big deal so long as it's repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Woah. I thought I stumbled into a Glock thread by accident.

If the title is clear, some people will be interested as a rebuilder. Little bit of frame damage is no big deal so long as it's repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.

The problem is, something needs to be done with ASAP. It's at the body shop, but I can't keep it there much longer unless I tell them to start work. And I can't keep it at my house; no way, no how.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    So we are on the same page, insurance has not totaled the vehicle, correct? Its at a body shop? The estimate they gave you is not the final word for repairs. If more damage is found after tear down there will be a supplement for additional repairs (hood?) until the amount exceeds the value of the vechicle, if it does. Honda pilots don't have a frame per say, they are unibody.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So we are on the same page, insurance has not totaled the vehicle, correct? Its at a body shop? The estimate they gave you is not the final word for repairs. If more damage is found after tear down there will be a supplement for additional repairs (hood?) until the amount exceeds the value of the vechicle, if it does. Honda pilots don't have a frame per say, they are unibody.
    I correct in assuming the insurance company will pick up any discrepancy between the estimate and actual cost?

The estimate listed "Frame" as 3 hours. I assumed that with that small amount of time that the damage to frame is minimal. Also, if there's no damage to the hood, then the damage in the engine compartment is minimal too.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I correct in assuming the insurance company will pick up any discrepancy between the estimate and actual cost?

The estimate listed "Frame" as 3 hours. I assumed that with that small amount of time that the damage to frame is minimal. Also, if there's no damage to the hood, then the damage in the engine compartment is minimal too.

The insurance company will go to a percentage of the value of the car. Some use NADA, some use and independent company. Let's say the damage on the original estimate is $5,000. Body shop gets the car in tears it down. They find more damage say $1000 ($6000 total) The car is worth $10,000. The insurance company will go to say 70% the value of the vechicle, or $7000. The car gets fixed. But if the body shop finds $3000 ($8000 total) more damage the car will total. Now you get to negotiate what they will give you for the vehicle. Frame = structural.

The amount on the estimate doesn't equal what you will get for the vechicle, it's the repair cost not value.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The wife isn't the greatest photographer.
    attachment.php

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yup.

I stopped by and inspected it. The major repairs are replacing the oodles of airbags, trim pieces, ceiling...

Then the fender, door and bumper.

Under the hood loos good, just and bracket or two and windshield washer fluid reservoir.

I would say repair it. However, the wife (mechanical dis-inclined) is concerned that it will never ever be safe with new airbags. Of course, she's trying to get a 4 year newer model with half the mileage. :xmad:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm surprised the insurance company didn't total it. They must think it was worth at least $15,000 before the crash. My non-professional opinion says it wasn't worth that and I would get rid of it if I could. They might be able to repair it to the point of being safe, but it seems like they never end up being quite right after being wrecked that bad. Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to say.

Top Bottom