• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    So I am in the market for a Used F150 and have stumbled across a Ford Dealership out of Ohio that is selling loaded 2013-2014 F150's FX4/Lariat models with under 25k Miles for about $6k less than blue book. After looking at the CarFax, it appears most of there trucks they are obtaining from Ontario, and after a some research it appears they are doing this because of the recent fall of the Canadian Dollar, so they are able to make an easy profit.

Is there anything I should be overly concerned about buying one of these trucks? Anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    We did a pre-purchase inspection on a Toyota from Quebec. 2008 with 33,000 miles and looked awesome on the outside. Everything under the hood that could rust was rusting. I have seen engines that have set outside at a salvage yard that were in better shape than this one. They had spray painted under the fenders and the parts of the frame you could see without climbing under the truck or having it on a lift otherwise you would have seen they were rusting pretty bad as well.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Major rust issues in that area too. Check condition of underbody and body panels carefully.

We travel to Northern Michigan regularly, it's not uncommon to see 5 to 8 year old truck with half rusted bed panels and gaping holes in the cab corners.

They use salt and sand up there. The resulting slush with sand literately sandblasts the paint and the salt does the rest.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    As I understand, there are a ton of Canadian cars w/ low miles in really poor shape.

Due to the extreme temps, they use nasty chemicals on the roads (lots of rust as mentioned) & in extreme temps leave the engine running 24x7.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Personally I wouldn't buy one for the reasons everyone has mentioned so far. When I was looking my my F150 I was tempted too, but after doing research I stayed away from Canadian trucks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Correct, but I'd rather have a car/truck that was run while parked instead of shut down and re-started if it's not parked for a long time. It's the re-start when the oil film is thin/non-existent that kills bearings.

in extreme temps leave the engine running 24x7.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Correct, but I'd rather have a car/truck that was run while parked instead of shut down and re-started if it's not parked for a long time. It's the re-start when the oil film is thin/non-existent that kills bearings.

Eh, that was the case years ago. With the improvement in casting, materials and assembly tolerances as well as advancements in oils & additives there's not as much wear as you'd like to believe, especially with synthetic oil.

And the kind of thing you speak of is what UPS/FedEx drivers do all day long (not that it's ideal for engine wear). But most engines are running for a very small percentage of the day, whereas in the winter months these are often never stopped except for maintenance.

Wonder what that engine oil looks like after 5k miles & 1750 hours of operating time?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    II go south,and get twice the vehicle.A nice vacation in Nashville can save you a lot of money, I buy a 5 to 10 year old vehicle,drive it for 2 years,and sell for what I paid for it,and do it again.Most areas in the south have a lower income,and used vehicles are cheaper,and they use very little salt,if any.If you want any pointers, PM me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom