• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Getting a new roof put on this week. This was spurred by a leak that developed in the master bedroom. It was an area of the ceiling that had shown signs of damage since I bought the place in 1994. However, I put a new roof on then and it never leaked. The damage was to the paint and top coat of plaster but it did not look like water damage, more like settlement cracking. That is, until water started dripping through during rains.

Anyway, my roofer knocked on the door this afternoon and told me he found the leak and its cause. He then handed me what appears to be a 9mm bullet. See pic below. As the ceiling has been damaged for a while but only recently started leaking, I can only surmise this fell out of the sky prior to the roof being installed in 1994. The new roof protected the hole until it wore out enough to start leaking again. Roofer said it was not uncommon for him to find bullet holes on jobs once in a while but I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't "freak out" at the sight of the bullet. A little ironic I think.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    When we had the roof replaced years ago on our shop, behind the state fairgrounds, the roofers brought us a couple handfuls of 9mm bullets. Lol.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I need to ask my roofer exactly where he found it. My home is older and the plywood decking is laid over 1"x6" boards running horizontally. If it fully penetrated both layers, I am impressed.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I had a guy call me once about a roof leak...I got to his house and the ceiling had a hole blown thru it to outside of roof. I asked what happened and come to find out he had some kind of trip wires that shoot shotgun shells.....he was cleaning closet and went to pull the wire and it went off. Went right by his head but blasted the ceiling and thru the decking and roofing on outside. Lucky to be alive.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I had a guy call me once about a roof leak...I got to his house and the ceiling had a hole blown thru it to outside of roof. I asked what happened and come to find out he had some kind of trip wires that shoot shotgun shells.....he was cleaning closet and went to pull the wire and it went off. Went right by his head but blasted the ceiling and thru the decking and roofing on outside. Lucky to be alive.
    Don't think I'd want to walk that roof!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Use to find multi bullets on rooftops and stuck in A/C units, and refrigeration roof condensors in my grocery stores in Gary, In. Use to service HVAC-R, and got calls in the night hours that the units were down. We started to install metal around the units, and those got stolen too. They cut down all the trees, removed any old brackets, and stuck half walls up on the roofline to discourage shooting. Kinda helped. Bad areas, even hired Guards, they got shot at too. Gary use to be murder capital, they practiced a lot.
    I retired to become a cop. It was safer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't want to go into the whole story but I once shot 12ga #4 shot through the bedroom ceiling and damaged the roof. It was an intentional action though not too smart. I did make my point clear.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Getting a new roof put on this week. This was spurred by a leak that developed in the master bedroom. It was an area of the ceiling that had shown signs of damage since I bought the place in 1994. However, I put a new roof on then and it never leaked. The damage was to the paint and top coat of plaster but it did not look like water damage, more like settlement cracking. That is, until water started dripping through during rains.

Anyway, my roofer knocked on the door this afternoon and told me he found the leak and its cause. He then handed me what appears to be a 9mm bullet. See pic below. As the ceiling has been damaged for a while but only recently started leaking, I can only surmise this fell out of the sky prior to the roof being installed in 1994. The new roof protected the hole until it wore out enough to start leaking again. Roofer said it was not uncommon for him to find bullet holes on jobs once in a while but I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't "freak out" at the sight of the bullet. A little ironic I think.

View attachment 42005

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just for safe keeping you should give me all your remaining 3rd gen smiths. Gotta good cover story going but those 3rd gens need to be fostered by someone else.

Top Bottom