• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My cast iron pans do get washed gently with soap and water and keep their seasoning just fine. My oldest pan belonged to my great grandmother and I know that is pure lard seasoning in the bottom...lol. My Grandmother would make me cheeseburgers fried in lard with that bad boy. Currently I have 4 in various sizes the largest being a #13.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I can't say that I completely disagree with the article, but there are bits and pieces where it's clear the author doesn't fully understand cast-iron and/or the science behind it...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I avoid soap and I'll continue to do so. I honestly don't see the need for it anyway.

Yeah, we've been meaning to talk to you about that...

IMG_7524.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Why would you use soap and water in cast iron? High cooking temps will destroy microorganisms more reliably than any soap will.

Soap is used on pans to break down and loosen debris; with cast iron it easily wipes off anyway.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Couple stories I ran across about cast iron. One guy said his Mother in law shows up when he was not around. She said she cleaned them filthy pans... Had to scrub them really good with steel wool to get em clean... Don't know why he let them get that bad.

My buddy said he had a nice big antique fry pan that he loved. Wife was using it on the stove and got busy with the tv. She said when she came back it was really HOT. She tossed it out in the snow.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Couple stories I ran across about cast iron. One guy said his Mother in law shows up when he was not around. She said she cleaned them filthy pans... Had to scrub them really good with steel wool to get em clean... Don't know why he let them get that bad.

My buddy said he had a nice big antique fry pan that he loved. Wife was using it on the stove and got busy with the tv. She said when she came back it was really HOT. She tossed it out in the snow.

My wife soaked one in the sink overnight. I still love her, but even after all the water that's gone under the bridge (or down the drain), it's occasionally a point of contention at home. :chillout:

There's another cast iron thread on here where people have said they've cracked their garage sale cast iron after throwing it into the fire to clean it. Thermal shock is a biatch.

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I love my cast iron! My mom has a couple that are older than I am that look like they always have! We had a gas oven and mom would always put the cast iron pans in the oven to dry completely with the pilot light. Even though I have an electric stove now (that I totally despise!) I will heat the oven to 300 or so and then put the cast iron pans in to really dry. I will wipe them down with some oil sometimes just to keep them seasoned.

Top Bottom