• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My son and I watch gold rush and bearing sea gold. He has been wanting to do it for a while so grabbed these on Amazon. Has anyone been to Yellowood or Morgan-Monroe to pan for gold? Any hot spots you can share?

382918FE-09F6-4A77-BF6C-1F8AB3712759-22128-0000101982401392_zpsc55b6e5d.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The goal is not profit here. It's showing a 4yo that he can do whatever he wants in life and I'll help him get there. He asks me every show if we can go do that some day. Gold fever encourages motivation.
    I may need to buy some dust and seed the ground if we're not finding anything. Can you even buy that locally?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doc, I've never done it. But seems like there was an article in one of the Sunday papers a few years ago about panning for gold in the areas you mentioned. I guess you'd googled and YouTubed it and are now just looking for real life experiences?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have heard around Brown County are decent spots to find some. I have never tried outside of Nashville and their pan for gold shop.

Hopefully you find a good spot, I know it was fun on the family vacations we had back when I was younger down in North Carolina and Colorado.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I've been panning for years in Indiana, and have about an ounce of gold DUST to show for it. I emphasize DUST, because that is what we have in Indiana. The largest nuggets EVER found in Indiana were about a quarter ounce, compared with multiple POUND nuggets recovered in California. Most kids get bored very quickly with dust, as they are expecting huge nuggets. The largest piece of gold I have found in Indiana is about the size of a pea, but flat. I have found one diamond, and a jar full of low grade rubies and garnets. It IS a great way to spend a day or weekend, but don't expect to get rich. A sluice box would be your best investment, as you can process a LOT more material.

Top Bottom