• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I hear this complaint a lot when folks are thinking about reloading, and it's easy to tell why when you see the pics on here of some of the awesome reloading rooms some folks have!!

But not everyone has access to all that spare space. I know a number of times throughout my life I've had to reload in some pretty cramped quarters. Below are some of the ways I've done it. These are all .38 Special set ups, but they work with bunches of calibers.

The first is both the most space efficient, cheapest, and most basic way to reload. A Lee Classic Loader, mallet, scoops, powder, primers, brass, bullets, and an ammo can. Takes all of five minutes to set up and put away. Downside is the hammering can be noisy, so you need to find a place to do that without driving folks bonkers. On non-rainy days, the porch or driveway can work. I've known of people who actually load at the range with this set up, though I've not done it.

BasicReloading002.jpg

BasicReloading003.jpg

BasicReloading004.jpg

The second is still pretty basic compared to a lot of folk's set ups, but it works very well. It's actually what I'm still using, despite currently having a spare room to work in. I may not always! I do have some extra goodies, but you don't have to have them. I do recommend a pair of calipers, though, which I forgot to put in the pics. The don't take up any space to speak of, though. Our house near Philadelphia was a row home, small and crowed, no extra space. I'd unpack, load on the coffee table in the living room, pack up when done. Packing and unpacking takes 5-10 minutes each. Then I'd stick the box back under the bed, and loaded ammo with the guns. This is also a cheap set up, for those on a very tight budget. In Philly, I was able to load 500 rounds a week with this, but I was spending a couple hours each week night to do it, and had help from Cathy. If you need to load bunches, or load faster, you need more money, and more room :) Here, we've got Lee Hand Press, Lee Safety Scale, Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Lee .38 Special dies, bullets, brass, primers, powder, and a Tupperware box.

BasicReloading005.jpg

BasicReloading006.jpg

BasicReloading008.jpg

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    There are a couple of good ideas Joe, thanks for posting. I use a generic workmate folding table that I screwed a 3/4" piece of plywood to make the top more sturdy so I can mount my RCBS reloader special onto. Folds up when I'm done. Later, Bob

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's pretty cool. I have a pretty decent-sized house, but I don't really have the room to set up a dedicated reloading bench. Nice to see that I don't necessarily need a ton of space.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I hear this complaint a lot when folks are thinking about reloading, and it's easy to tell why when you see the pics on here of some of the awesome reloading rooms some folks have!!

But not everyone has access to all that spare space. I know a number of times throughout my life I've had to reload in some pretty cramped quarters. Below are some of the ways I've done it. These are all .38 Special set ups, but they work with bunches of calibers.

The first is both the most space efficient, cheapest, and most basic way to reload. A Lee Classic Loader, mallet, scoops, powder, primers, brass, bullets, and an ammo can. Takes all of five minutes to set up and put away. Downside is the hammering can be noisy, so you need to find a place to do that without driving folks bonkers. On non-rainy days, the porch or driveway can work. I've known of people who actually load at the range with this set up, though I've not done it.

BasicReloading002.jpg

BasicReloading003.jpg

BasicReloading004.jpg

The second is still pretty basic compared to a lot of folk's set ups, but it works very well. It's actually what I'm still using, despite currently having a spare room to work in. I may not always! I do have some extra goodies, but you don't have to have them. I do recommend a pair of calipers, though, which I forgot to put in the pics. The don't take up any space to speak of, though. Our house near Philadelphia was a row home, small and crowed, no extra space. I'd unpack, load on the coffee table in the living room, pack up when done. Packing and unpacking takes 5-10 minutes each. Then I'd stick the box back under the bed, and loaded ammo with the guns. This is also a cheap set up, for those on a very tight budget. In Philly, I was able to load 500 rounds a week with this, but I was spending a couple hours each week night to do it, and had help from Cathy. If you need to load bunches, or load faster, you need more money, and more room :) Here, we've got Lee Hand Press, Lee Safety Scale, Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Lee .38 Special dies, bullets, brass, primers, powder, and a Tupperware box.

BasicReloading005.jpg

BasicReloading006.jpg

BasicReloading008.jpg
    Hi Joe
    I have been using the Lee loader for a few months now, and I have used it at the range. I will admit my basic box of stuff is bigger than that though!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I started out with a Lee Anniversary Kit with a Challenger Press. Everything fit in a milk crate for a long time, and my press and powder measure were mounted to a piece of 1/2" MDF (an old melamine coated kitchen cabinet door actually) and I c-clamped it to the kitchen table to reload.

I'm not much more sophisticated 15 years later.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Here is my setup in the garage.... and my crew:

reloading002.jpg

And I also use a folding workmate bench in the house during the winter months, that way I can watch TV with the family......

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    ...And I also use a folding workmate bench in the house during the winter months, that way I can watch TV with the family......

I was thinking about mounting my Lee 100 pro press on a piece of plywood that I could then clamp into a workmate style table and use that for a reloading bench. I would be able to set it up easily and take it apart if need be easy also. I don't have a basement so I have to make due with what I have. The bench can be stored in a closet out of the way if need be. Same thing for all my reloading supplies. Glad I am not the only one to think about using this :)

Greg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started out with a Lee Hand Loader when the three of us lived in a one bedroom apartment. When I got my first press, I found a little second-hand table that had a 2'x2' top. It had leafs on each end to enlarge the work area. It may have originally been a sewing machine table. It had drawers and also had a large storage area. I think I paid little to nothing for the table, because it had water damage. When I was done loading for the day. I put all the stuff in the bottom of the table and covered it up. It took up little room and the weight of the lead bullets helped stabilize it. If I were handy with carpenter tools, I could probably make these and sell them to reloading apartment dwellers. Keep your eye out at the garage sales and thrift stores.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I hate loading mags at the range...can't imagine loading ammo too!!! ( I do however under stand HP and changing loads btwn shot groups)
    It's about being at the range when you try a new load. You don't necessarily want to make hundreds of rounds with a particular load, if it doesn't perform to your liking.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Years ago I didn't even have a press....I used the Lee standard loader...the one that requires a soft hammer...and being careful not to set off the primer when you are seating it. I loaded many .44mags and .38 specials this way.

Top Bottom