• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been reloading for years and never used a chrono, but with my new 3" revolver I'm getting the itch to know what speed different loads are running.

I know next to nothing about chronos other than what they do. No information is going to be too simple for me.

What features should I look for? Is it possible to get an accurate and reliable one for $100 or less? Will shooting them in the shade or in the sun matter? What about under a tree where the leaves will make shadows move? My outdoor range is wooded, so that matters to me.

How far in front of the barrel does the chrono go? If I accidentally shoot one of the wires, is the machine broken or are they replaceable?

Any recommendations on brand and model?

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I bought one a few weeks ago from a shop in town for basically the same reason with my .308.. And i have used it on everything from that to my Matthews.. I believe it was around $150.. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head.. It's really cool an easy to use.. The instructions are pretty easy to follow.. I have found that sunny days work the best.. It has less to do with being in the sunlight as it is the light around you.. I have found it to read consistently no matter what I put through it..

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What features should I look for?

One that records a number of results, calculates the average and std deviation is a plus. One that has the computer separate from the skyscreens is a bigger plus (incase you pull a shot, you just replace a skyscreen).

Is it possible to get an accurate and reliable one for $100 or less?

Possibly. For a couple bucks more I think you can get something you'll be happier with.

Will shooting them in the shade or in the sun matter? What about under a tree where the leaves will make shadows move? My outdoor range is wooded, so that matters to me.

Under a tree is no good. For "best" results, use a "chrono box." But that's a PITA, so for next best results a cloud covered day or make some shade (solid/consistent, not leaves blowing in the wind).

How far in front of the barrel does the chrono go?

10' min is what done in competitions that test ammo. Too close and muzzle blast/gases can result in false readings.

If I accidentally shoot one of the wires, is the machine broken or are they replaceable?

depends on the brand/model. Some put the computer right under the skyscreen. That's just tempting fate for a bullet. Plus the readout is 10'+ in front of you. W/ a remote computer you put less equipment at risk of being shot and you can easier read the display.

Any recommendations on brand and model?

I use this, $129: http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=69
    If you would also like a shot timer, this is a great option that gives you both a timer and a chrono for a few $ more): http://pact.com/index.php?page=shop...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

another good option for more $...
    CED Millenium 2 Chronograph

-rvb

Last edited:

bigbang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    rvb pretty much covered it all.

I have a cheapo but it does record shots, sd, etc. I've noticed no difference in overcast or sunny days. But it does have "sun shields".

I don't know if it's "accurate", but it is consistent, so I can chrono factory loads and compare to my reloads. After years of use I just recently had a "surprise" on some reloads. They were at the start end of the load data but were a moving along at a pretty good pace (not a bad thing, but a bit more than the books would've indicated).

They are a handy tool.

Top Bottom