• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I plan on reloading .30 carbine soon. Only currently load .45 acp right now.
    Been reading up that Imight have to trim my cases so looking for advice of what case trimmer to get?

I plan on reloading 200 - 300 rounds month. While I read that giraud *is* the best and does it all (trim, debur, etc) that unit is out of my price point. $400 is just too much for me for such a tool.

So what do you recommend and why?

--edit--
    I am reloading .30 carbine to plink out of my m1 carbine rifle

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I wouldn't worry too much about triming for the 30 carbine case as it is a straight walled case and not a high presure round... I beleive you already have a micrometer so just go through some of your brass and see if thier within max case length dimensions... If over that size then take a look at these two items over at Cabelas...

Cabela's: Redding™ Model 2400 Match Precision Case Trimming Lathe

Cabela's: Lyman Universal Case Prep Accessory Tool Kit

Way under 400 dollars... and these two tools will allow you to trim 308 when you start reloading that caliber too...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Lee trim/gauge system is really cheap and works fine. I think you can by the set up and caliber adapter kit for less than $16. By putting the provided hex end into a cheap ($12) electric screwdriver, the kit works fine for bigger quanties, like 100 at a time. It does get pretty tedious if you are doing 1000 pieces. Like mentioned, they do not grow very much, so you'll probably be trimming only a small percentage of cases.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    With either the WFT or the Lee one I'm still going to have to debur after I trim right? Those tools won't do it for me correct?

@GB
    Based on your experience after I shoot 300 rds in a session I won't have to trim all 300 correct? So how many do you think? 10% of the 300? Less?

I like the idea of going with a motor type device vs hand.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I don't think you'll have a issue with the 30 carb brass... if you do just come over and cut them every blue moon that it accurrs...

Yes for the most part you will need a deburing tool to clean the sharp edge of the cut brass and any left over shavings still attached to the case... That tool kit I sent you the link to also had a primer pocket cleaner in it and I think it had the primer pocket deburr tool which is used to clean the burrs off the inside of the case where the primer hole is. Normally most brass manufacturers just punch that hole into the brass and leave a large burr in the case which in precision reloading can effect the burn rate and direction of the powder charge and change impact case to case...

The tool that Melensdad put up is great but I think it needs a shouldered case to work so it may not be the tool to use on the 30 carbine...

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    As few of the 30 carbine cases that you will need to trim, a simple tool such as a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer will work fine and I got mine off of Ebay with pilots for under 30 bucks. I like it because of the universal chuck instead of seperate holders or colletts

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The minimum Lee tools you need with Midway part numbers:
    Lee cutter and Lock stud # 476992 $5.99
    Lee case length gauge and shell holder # 251723 $4.99
    Lee Deburr tool # 389104 $3.76
    If you have a slow speed battery drill or electric screwdriver already, this will get the job done reasonably quick. Good Luck

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you have a slow speed battery drill or electric screwdriver already, this will get the job done reasonably quick. Good Luck

Can the LEE Cutter w/ ball grip be used in replace of the lee cutter and lock stud?
    Or do I still need the lock stud?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Never mind found the answer

Notes: This is just the ball grip and cutter. A lock stud is still needed to use Lee Case Length Gages. Lee does not sell just the lock stud so a Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud (Item 476-992) is needed to properly use this item.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sounds like you got it figured out. Of course once you have the cutter and lock stud, almost any other calibers of case gauge and shell holder fit the same ones. Have fun

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Lee case length gauge/cutter setup, with the lock stud to chuck up in your cordless drill, is HANDS DOWN, the best way to keep 30 Carbine cases trimmed to the proper length.

Please ignore anyone who tells you these cases don't need to be trimmed. With all due respect, they are not familiar with the facts of this round. :)

I will also strongly encourage you to lubricate inside the necks of your 30 carbine cases, before resizing. This is one cartridge where the spray-on lube is a very good idea, as it will increase the number of firings and resizings you get before you need to trim. I would say it averages 1 or 2 firings if you don't lube inside the neck and 3-4 if you do...definitely worth the effort!

I have found that some 30 Carbine rifles are VERY fussy about case length. With mine, anything less than 1.286" will result in a light primer strike. Anything over 1.294" will not chamber fully, jamming the action. I shoot for 1.288" to 1.290", when trimming.

I will also warn you to not measure your cases until they have been resized. I have found MANY cases will be too short after firing, but once they've been resized, they are usually long enough to function again.

If you have any other specific questions about loading for this round, let us know and I'm sure we'll be able to help ya out. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all!

Yes do plan on using "lube" (oh that sounds dirty). :rofl:
    Am going to go with the Dillion Brass Case Lube. Now for lubing the inside of the neck, what use a q-tip and the dillion lube?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks all!

Yes do plan on using "lube" (oh that sounds dirty). :rofl:
    Am going to go with the Dillion Brass Case Lube. Now for lubing the inside of the neck, what use a q-tip and the dillion lube?

I've used a q-tip to apply lube inside case necks. It works, but is pretty time-consuming. I would recommend one of the spray lubes for this application. I have also used lube inside the mouth of every other case and had that be effective. Whatever method you try, be sure to measure each just-sized case for a while, until you are getting the results you want.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom