• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So there I was, reloading 9mm 124 JHP, and I notice that the last case seems really full. Almost like it was a .380, but I knew it wasn't. So I pulled it off before applying the bullet and poured out all the powder. At the bottom of the case I found one of these, dead:
    image002.jpg

It's not bad enough they are everywhere and smell bad. Now they are trying to kill me. IT'S TIME TO OUTLAW THESE THINGS!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, THAT will change your load volume! Good on you for catching it in the first place! ;)

I have to admit, when I saw "bugs" in the reloading process, I was thinking crushed shoulders or seating depth issues. :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good catch, and good for listening to that little voice that said "something is not quite right here.."

The original computer bug was just that. A moth had gotten in between two relay contacts in an air force computer and when the person who was troubleshooting it was asked what she was doing inside the computer she replied "debugging the computer."

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do you think the round would have went off fine? I mean the case was a bit more full but its not like the lady bug is like an over charged case lol.

It wasn't an overcharged case and most 9mm is not that sensitive to compressed charges, but it's probable that the ignition flash would not have reached the powder if the bug were blocking the hole.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If nothing else, the lady bug was taking up space/volume. That means the powder has less initial space for gas expansion, so it's "possible" this could have resulted in an over-pressure situation. Given the position of the "bug", it's more likely very poor ignition would have resulted in a squib, if anything.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    It was blocking the hole. I was worried about overpressure, though. I am using Clays, and compressing it makes pressure go up FAST.

Assuming it ignited, which I don't think it would, even with Clays most modern 9mm guns can handle +p+ pressures occasionally (they are proof tested well above those ranges) and the pressure spike due to compressing a charge (setback being most common) is not infinite, the top of the curve is typically 15-25% higher than the uncompressed pressure.

Top Bottom