• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    First off, I am putting this here because is has to do specifically with the sights on my M&P 9c. If it should be in the handgun section, somebody say something and I'll move it.

Getting down to business now, I came across the first and only problem I've had with My S&W M&P 9c. I was about halfway through a mag at Pop Guns when I noticed that my front sight had "disappeared." Obviously, the post was still there, but the white insert had fallen out. While I could send it back to S&W and have them fix it for free, it is my understanding that this isn't really all that unusual. With that in mind, I've decided to just fix it myself. My plan is that I will clean up the sight post and put paint where the insert used to be. As I have never had to do anything like this before, you can quickly see my problem: which paint should I use? I know Midway sells some Bright Sight branded paint, but a quick google search tells me there are several different brands with their own unique "advantage."

So my question to you is this: what is your favorite? What have you used before? what brands would you use or not use again, and for what reasons?

Looking for some help INGO!

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I used a nail polish. The front sight was originally white and I wanted some contrast. It's a little Umarex/Colt/Walther .22 1911 frame.
    gKOK1.jpg
    [/IMG]
    gKOK1.jpg
    [/IMG]
    I cut a tooth pick in half and then painted the end of the toothpick. I think it turned out nicely.
    t6YDI.jpg
    [/IMG]
    t6YDI.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    White nail polish works fine. I bought the cheapest stuff I could find and it's been on for over a year and at least 1000 rounds.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If your worried about low light, you should probably just spring for some night sites. I bought some stuff off of Ebay that was supposed to glow in the dark, it didn't. Total waste of money.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I guess I should clarify. I don't necessarily mean after dark. More along the lines of indoor ranges. Pop Guns for example, has a well lit range, but not so much once you get into your lane. I find myself sometimes having some difficulty seeing the sights in such a situation.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I've never been to Pop's Guns, so I don't really know how dimly lit your lane is. The picture is in a hallway with not much light as you can tell. It's the best I can do without letting you see in person.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've never been to Pop's Guns, so I don't really know how dimly lit your lane is. The picture is in a hallway with not much light as you can tell. It's the best I can do without letting you see in person.

That's about what it looks like in the lane at Pop's. Guess I'm going to have to try that (plus orange is my favorite color).

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have used model car paint on the front ramp of my j-frame. I put down a layer of white and covered with a bright orange. It picks up pretty well and probably holds up better than nail polish. I carry the thing quite a bit and there is no chipping or anything.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I put orange craft paint on the ramp of a snub pistol with great results.

I have had problems with my M&P 40c sights. Not the dot falling out, but the back dots getting so dusty that I couldn't pick them up well. I had thought about filling the void in with paint, but now I am thinking about the hi-viz sights that they have.

Just hate to spend the money on a sight pusher... or the time to construct one myself.

Top Bottom