• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I was shooting my 40 today and it appears to be shooting low. The stock sights are not elevation adjustable.
    Perhaps I need to get some new sights. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for sights. I do not care if they are night sights or not.

If I have to pay about the same price for some night sights, I might as well get some.

Suggestions?

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Where do you live? I go to a dealer, Ranger Supply, in Fort Wayne that not only sells sights but installs them too. Most shops I have been to will sell you the sights then you are out of luck on the install.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not trying to be a jerk or anything. But are you sure it's the sights, and not the shooter?

I thought the same thing with my Glock 19. But after seeking help, I was shown it was me.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    The other thing to note is that the M&P shoots with a combat (drill the dots) hold and not a target hold. It's also set for POA/POI at 25 yards so will be low if shooting at 7 yards. Bullet weight will also have an effect on POI - the 9mm is tuned for 124gr and 115 will be low and 147 will be high. I'd assume the 40cal would have similar characteristics.

You can read about the various holds here. I'd post a reference image but don't have sufficient posts yet.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Also, if you deem that it is the sights and not the shooter, you can file down the front sight a little at a time until you get it on target.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I would have someone watch your shooting. I thought the same about mine when I first got it but after having someone at the range watch me (who is also an instructor) he pointed out it was how I was shooting.
    I still shoot low right, but I am working on it. My bad is the way I am pulling the trigger, but my groups have gotten considerably better since he pointed out my mistakes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As suggested above, its more-often the shooter and not the sights.

I'd shoot it from a bench rest, just to be sure.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yeah, I did some further reading on shooting low and to the left. It sounds like it may be me. I am fairly new to the gun, and fairly new to shooting, so I will invest some more time in my efforts to take me out of the picture before I plunk down and buy some sights. I am also going to shoot from a rest to see.
    No offense taken by anyone saying it may be me. That is good info to know even if my pride takes a hit, it is worth it if it makes me better, and that is the goal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No offense taken by anyone saying it may be me. That is good info to know even if my pride takes a hit, it is worth it if it makes me better, and that is the goal.

The only reason we know is because we've all been there at one point ourselves. ;)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was shooting my 40 today and it appears to be shooting low. The stock sights are not elevation adjustable.
    Perhaps I need to get some new sights. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for sights. I do not care if they are night sights or not.

If I have to pay about the same price for some night sights, I might as well get some.

Suggestions?

I would go to an indoor range and try bench firing it, if you can. That will eliminate the trigger pull variables.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    From a rest is on the list for the next range trip.

I was totally excited after my first trip with it. I got +/-13 out of 15 in a 3" circle. I thought I was the stuff! Yesterday, I could not hit nearly as well!

I had the same luck on my rifle, but I am not sure what the cause of that was!

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Sometimes when I go to the range I can't hit a dang thing. Those days I cut the range time short and go do something else.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Er...there are no restrictions on posting images based on post count or anything else.

True enough if I want to post it where it's hosted externally. However I can't post an image as an attachment - at least according to the Posting Rules at the bottom of the page. Or am I missing something?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    However I can't post an image as an attachment - at least according to the Posting Rules at the bottom of the page. Or am I missing something?

That goes for everyone. All images must be hosted externally, as we've disabled the attachment option.

Top Bottom