• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My next AR build will be a carbine type. The names I've heard recommended in red dot sights (Aimpoint and Eotech) are a bit rich for my blood at the moment. Can anybody recommend something serviceable for someone who's already sunk most of his budget into guns and ammo without much left for optics?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My first suggestion would be to save up for a used, older-model Aimpoint. I've scored several used/excellent ML2s and a like-new Comp-C3 for right around $300 over the last year or so.

Second suggestion would be to go with the Burris XTS-135 or its slightly less rugged cousin, the SPOT MkIII. I've got several SPOTs on different guns and they've held up surprisingly well under hard use.

S.P.O.T. - Red Dot Sporting Sight / Mark III - 6MOA: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Save your money and get a quality optic and mount. Spend your money once. It only stings once when you buy it. Afterwards you understand why they cost what they do and are damn glad you made the investment, which is what it really is on multiple levels.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Save your money and get a quality optic and mount. Spend your money once. It only stings once when you buy it. Afterwards you understand why they cost what they do and are damn glad you made the investment, which is what it really is on multiple levels.

He is absolutely right, the aimpoints and eotechs are salty but worth it in the end, save up and do it right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My next AR build will be a carbine type. The names I've heard recommended in red dot sights (Aimpoint and Eotech) are a bit rich for my blood at the moment. Can anybody recommend something serviceable for someone who's already sunk most of his budget into guns and ammo without much left for optics?

It depends on your intended use for your rifle. If you're just going to punch holes in paper from a bench, then it doesn't matter. Get whatever you find and either rejoice in the savings or suffer the headaches of going through half a dozen "cheap" red dots before you realize it's false economy.

If there is any chance at all that you will use the rifle for serious purposes (like personal defense), don't waste your time or money under the false assumption that you can't afford an Aimpoint or EOTech. If you're going to rely primarily on a red dot sight, you can't afford to not have one that isn't going to work.

As mentioned above, you can find good deals on used Aimpoints and EOTechs if you try.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    There is an aimpoint for $300 in the for sale section right now.

I went the cheap red dot route for my first ar-build and my upper seems to be backordered, but I have the red dot i ordered on hand. It looks pretty neat, but I have no idea how it performs yet.

I got the Walther ps22 for about 50 on midway. I might end up using it on a another 10/22 build down the road.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shameless advertiser plug /ON

I do have access to several red dot sights, including Aimpoint, EOTech, Burris, Millet and C-More. Don't hesitate to ask and I'll see what I can do for you.

SAP /OFF

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I use a Simmons on my CX4 carbine, a BSA on my Buckmark and Millets on a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk and a 45-70 Marlin. All work fine for my use, ie. targets and steel. No, they probably would not hold well up under combat conditions. I've tried a friends Aimpoint. All put a red dot at the point of aim and thats where the gun shot. That said, I am not a professional solder or law enforcement. Shooting is my hobby. My choice is to save the money for ammo and reloading components so I can practice more. Not concerned with having the neatest/flashiest stuff. Don't play those games. If you play rough or have big prise money riding on your equipment then the high $ stuff is worth it. I'm sure there's a reason why the big name champions use C-More on their pistols and Aimpoint/EO Tech on the ARs. They shoot thousands of rounds a month/year. It's your money, make your choice.

Top Bottom