• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    I had my regular appointment for meds and lecture. Everything was just as bad as I thought it would be, except for the weight. At 211, that could have been a lot worse.

Just have to get past this lull in attitude and get back on the program before it gets any worse.
    The "Funk" is real JTKelly. No denying it. In the past, how have you moved through it? What seems to have worked?

I don't know you or your situation so please take all of this with a grain of salt. Here are some of the things I've used:
    ---After Ella our Beagle mix died, I borrowed the neighbors 6 year old labarador to hike the woods/walk. Good for my soul, gave them a tired dog. Win/Win.
    ---Stopped listening to the negative voices in my life (some of them in my own head).
    ---Engaged an Accountability Partner (my 81 year old Dad, but it could be anyone I trust) who will encourage me without OVERLY judging me.
    ---Stopped listening to the OVERLY Judging people in my life.
    ---listen to the Daily Stoic on YouTube. Listened to the songs of the 70's which were IMHO better written and more positive than, oh, I don't know, Grunge Rock.
    ---recall this from the Daily Stoic:‘You could be good today,’ the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius wrote. ‘But instead you choose tomorrow.’
    ---I was listening to an interview and I'll see if I can post it here with Ray Cash Care. He said his wife says this every day first thing in the morning and just before she shuts her eyes every night "I may not Win, but I will not Lose - you only Lose if you Quit". I've hijacked it as my own and though I don't know the guy, I suspect Ray Cash Care would be OK with that. Honestly? I'm too old and was too uninspired when I was young to go SF. I'm OK with my past, but I've learned a ton from listening to this, over the course of a week. I've taken notes, revisited them. Best to you. I hope some of this helps.

Last edited:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I liked that, "‘You could be good today,’ the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius wrote. ‘But instead you choose tomorrow.’" Actually that could be the "bad me" motto. LOL. Honestly, I DO feel better now. Rain and cloudy on grass mowing day isn't helping but I'll share some as they come to me. After all if I'm pecking on this computer, I'm NOT doing something else I tell myself I want to do.

I try to ride my bicycle a lot. It is kind of like therapy, like mowing grass. You HAVE to maintain a certain level of awareness of exactly what you are actually doing so it dulls down the worries that can over come. Yet I can still practice positive thoughts and some how they become habits.

One of my favs is "Just don't stop. Just don't stop." LOL, comes from those "third day in a row, 16 mile, bike rides". Hills where I just stood on the pedals and puffed up it, with a little wind, a big truck and on the road BACK HOME, suddenly I'm in low, LOW, LOWEST gear. Wobbling to stay between the fog line and the dirt and thinking how much easier it would be to just throw this thing in the ditch and call for a pick up. "JUST DON"T STOP moving. Fast is good but moving is moving, ever pedal is closer to the top and better than nothing."

Then out of no where it is a little easier again and here we go shifting up up up again.

Another is a quote, sort of, from Sun Tzu, Art of War. Forgive the spelling, its been a while. "If one man can do it another man can do it. If two men CAN do it, then ten men can do it" If ten men can do it, I can do it. I just have to decide I AM going to do it.

It is easy to lie to yourself, its a problem if someone else hears it. If I don't keep my word to my self, how could anyone else EVER trust me.

End of introspective pep talk. Look out world.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations to everyone moving toward their goals! I haven't posted in a while so to keep myself accountable and contribute some positivity I'll share my progress.

Have gotten under 160 recently. Started at 211, and goal was 155. I was 157 and change this morning. Still WAY down on added sugars, smaller portions, more veggies, and more simple, at-home body-weight exercises. It is working. I feel SO much better, like how I look, and don't get tired chasing my daughter. All awesome. Keep it up everyone.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "The Funk" is a pretty good word for it, for sure. Couldn't really call it depression, just funk. Seems, for me, it just takes EVERYTHING down a notch, and holds it there. Like the first scratch in a brand new car or scuff or cut marks the first time you wear new shoes. But I just don't get over it. The first swirl down just leads to the next one. Just makes everything a little easier to quit. Do 30 push ups a day for months and one day it just doesn't seem worth it, ah 25 is plenty...

Any way today hit the wall and I share this, not like I'm a pro like Dr. Jill, but just from my own anecdotal MD degree. It happened to me, it may help you, or it might be worse, I'm not doctor. Allergy feeling today like bad grass pollen, itchy eyes, watery, just general malaise. I was outside all day yesterday splitting wood and stuff. Would have sworn this was some kind of allergy crap.

Just on the WTH, it can't make it much worse, I faced the meter and checked my sugar. The book said I hadn't checked since last January. 232, WTH? Guess I have to get with this program I promised the Doc. I did eat over half a water melon over the course of the day yesterday but what ever.

Windy here so I got on the indoor bike and put in an honest 15 minutes and thought I'd just check to see if it is even moving the dial. 212, huh, who'd have thought. Decided to make this an experiment, (experiments motivate me) Got right back on the bike and in a couple minutes had my heart rate back maxed for my age. In 30 minutes I checked again, Sugar was 139! And I noted in my book those allergy symptom were ALL GONE. Watery eyes, puffy sinus feeling, even a little emotional boost sort of like "I can do this" instead of "Oh God, I don't want to do this". In 45 minutes that dropped almost 100 pnts! That had me excited to finish out the hour but even at the end of another 15 minutes it was still 139. Not great but DRAMATICLY better than it was.

Now to keep it there will be the challenge but I feel I CAN do it. That is the biggest change. Keep checking, keep changing, JUST KEEP PEDALING and don't stop. One more time.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have leveled off between 200-202. Worrying about it is not constructive. Goal is still 195 but as long as I don’t gain weight I am unconcerned. Lost a total of 55 pounds without exercise. The remainder will probably be achievable with exercise.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So far so good. I kept strict Keto diet protocols today but did get plenty to eat. In continuing the experiment my sugar check held to 140 up to 10pm when I started another exercise stint. This was deliberate to maximize the amount of time with a normal blood sugar. 30 minutes on the bike and the next check was 109!

Absolutely awesome in my little world!

With that ride I fought off an awful habit I'd established of eating and watching tv at night before bed. At least tonight I'll go to bed with +/_ NORMAL blood sugar instead of through the roof sky high. Old habits are hard to break so I won't say this is broke, but at least I won THIS round.

Top Bottom